Publicity: Good or Bad?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Publicity: Good or Bad?

Postby Economist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm thinking about the ramifications of a seeming build-up in coin hoarding publicity (especially via the upcoming Newsweek article on Nickels).

The good part is that more awareness might increase demand for pre-sorted copper cents (or pre-stashed nickel boxes) for those of us who are in it for cash flow.

The bad part, of course, is that it becomes much harder to source coins, as everybody and his brother in law want to get in on the hobby.

Thoughts? I for one am more excited about the increased buyer-demand potential than I am worried about competition for sorting. It takes a rare nerdiness and dedication to really get into sorting, so I'm thinking/ hoping that many of the "noobs" will turn to the pre-sorted market for building their hoards.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Publicity: Good or Bad?

Postby rickygee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Hope you feel the same way when the banks start charging higher fees for rolled/boxes of coin as demand grows. They'll also be a percent or so below Coinstar for the use of their counting machines, deposit only. Banks are looking at anything and everything to charge fees on.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 pm

rickygee wrote:Hope you feel the same way when the banks start charging higher fees for rolled/boxes of coin as demand grows. They'll also be a percent or so below Coinstar for the use of their counting machines, deposit only. Banks are looking at anything and everything to charge fees on.

They already are doing that. There is nothing that can stop that, fyi.

Publicity is not going to matter much one way or the other.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rickygee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Tenfour there barrytrot, I know fees are charged by various institutions. I've encountered same. But when everybody and his brother is into the coin game fees will increase big time. Publicity? Well, hell. I reckon it's the old sayin': Wanna play? Ya gotta pay!
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby DJS » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 am

I am fortunate enough(for now) that my bank doesn't charge to use their counting machine for my "hobby". However, they did say if I started to pump a bunch through(I am assuming numerous boxes a week), there may be some charges. Not for the counting machine, but for the cost of the wrappers, etc. that they incur.
DJS

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:40 am

Publicity only bring validity to the market and puts pressure on the mint to change or eliminate the penny. I would say it is very good!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:49 am

I hope it stays quiet longer! I'm not trying to sell now or anytime in the near future. I'm just trying to build a hoard for years down the line. The more people start doing this, the harder it will be. I can see why people that are selling now would want this publicity though. It depends what you are in it for and your timeframe for wanting to sell.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 pm

It's all good as long as they spell your name right.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:29 am

Here's my list of pros and cons.

Pros:
it will drive up market premiums
it will draw awarness to real money

Cons:
the coins will be out of circulation faster
the wrong people get involved (people who don't know how to properly handle the coins)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing