Name this coin? Part two

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Name this coin? Part two

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 pm

So here's the other coin I can't identify from the bag. It appears to be copper based, and obviously, that's not English on it. The only real clue I have is that my father fought in the Korean War, and the coin came from him. He was also stationed in Japan. Obviously it's some East Asian coin, given the language on the coin. My father, at 81, doesn't have the memory he once did, and is unable to tell me what it is. Any idea????

Heck, I can't even tell you which is the obverse, which is the reverse!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Name this coin? Part two

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 pm

japan 10 yen

late 1950's ? cant quite make it out
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:25 pm

The writing on the coin in the top picture says: Showa 32 nen, meaning the 32nd year of the Showa Emperor, better known as Hirohito. The 10 above indicates that it is a 10 yen coin. Showa 32 = 1957.

The opposite side is: Nippongoku and Juu en, meaning the country of Japan and 10 yen. The building pictured is in the ancient city of Nara.

Guys and gals, I lived in Japan for 8 years. Have been able to read and write the language for over 20 years. Anything you want to know about Japan and you can't find on Google, I would be glad to help.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Wow thanks Shinnosuke (you to AIB), I can't believe how quickly I note only had an answer - but a translation and details of the image, the year, and the emperor referenced on it. Amazing.

You may have read a few days ago about the bag of coins my father gave me. Although he wants me to sell them - I can't (except the wheat pennies)... I'm able to kind of use the coins to "retrace his steps" through life... the description that you just gave me was written down and put in a piece of plastic with the 10 yen coin. Though probably near worthless to most, it's priceless to me as it represents my father's time stationed overseas. Thanks so much for helping me connect the dots! THAT is why this forum is great.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Wow.. great info! Thanks for sharing shinnosuke. To me, that is what this forum is all about. I learned a few things about my Japenese coins from reading your post. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Wow.. great info! Thanks for sharing shinnosuke. To me, that is what this forum is all about. I learned a few things about my Japenese coins from reading your post. :mrgreen:

Seriously, don't ever hesitate to ask. I have two talents in life: Japanese and the ability to spot a lying politician. :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 am

shinnosuke wrote:...and the ability to spot a lying politician.

Let me guess--their lips are moving?
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 am

tinhorn wrote:

Must be really good with Japanese politicians?! ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 am

68Camaro wrote:
tinhorn wrote:

Must be really good with Japanese politicians?! ;)

Right, lips moving is a certain indicator of mendacity. For most of them in Japan, it's always a question of when (not if) their dirty deals will be exposed.

As a test, I will write my Japanese name (shinnosuke) in kanji below.

進之介
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Sweet, :)

shinnosuke wrote:The writing on the coin in the top picture says: Showa 32 nen, meaning the 32nd year of the Showa Emperor, better known as Hirohito. The 10 above indicates that it is a 10 yen coin. Showa 32 = 1957.

The opposite side is: Nippongoku and Juu en, meaning the country of Japan and 10 yen. The building pictured is in the ancient city of Nara.

Guys and gals, I lived in Japan for 8 years. Have been able to read and write the language for over 20 years. Anything you want to know about Japan and you can't find on Google, I would be glad to help.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing