Like sorting, but starting to doubt this plan of action.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Like sorting, but starting to doubt this plan of action.

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Even with a machine, it takes an hour or so to sort 100 face of pennies, I'm getting about 20% coppers. Throw in the time wasted returning zinc, picking up pennies, man I got about 2 hours or more into 20 face of copper.

I might go back to buying or maybe stop...but I like finding a dime, or wheat penny or other weird stuff.

Then I think, how long before these are worth anything? As long as copper pennies are in circulation, and the melt ban is in place, they ain't going to be worth much. I need three or four times face really just say this was a good deal.

My goal was a ton, so i can't quit until I get there.....no, can't quit on my goal.... :)
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: Like sorting, but starting to doubt this plan of action.

Postby slickeast » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Do you think this will be the case 10- 15 years from now?

How much was a silver dime worth in 1965?

Buy more each week to sort. Buy $500, loose if you can. This will yield $100fv copper. When the time comes and they are selling for 3x face, you will have a $200 profit. This can be done in less than 10 hours total with one ryedale if you can easily dump them. That is $20/hr.

Or find another hobby. Golf, paintball, riding 4 wheelers, drag racing. Pick one that will yield even a $1 profit
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NashuaSolstice » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:38 pm

yes, keep it up. if you can stay alive, the energy spent now will be worth it.
NashuaSolstice
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Nokozan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20 am

slickeast wrote:Do you think this will be the case 10- 15 years from now?

Buy more each week to sort. Buy $500, loose if you can. This will yield $100fv copper. When the time comes and they are selling for 3x face, you will have a $200 profit. This can be done in less than 10 hours total with one ryedale if you can easily dump them. That is $20/hr.

Or find another hobby. Golf, paintball, riding 4 wheelers, drag racing. Pick one that will yield even a $1 profit

lets focus more on this area "How much was a silver dime worth in 1965?" well thats 1 year after they changed the composition of the dime. the 1982 cent was changed that year so the equivalent of that question would be how much was a copper cent worth 1 year after which was 1983. now lets use real time. this is 30 years later since the compisiton change 30 years of inflation after the debasement and the copper cent is only 2 times face value. now back to silver dime, after 30 years of inflation in the year 1994 i beat it was a heck of a lot more then 2 times face.
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 am

VWBEAMER wrote:Even with a machine, it takes an hour or so to sort 100 face of pennies, I'm getting about 20% coppers. Throw in the time wasted returning zinc, picking up pennies, man I got about 2 hours or more into 20 face of copper.

I might go back to buying or maybe stop...but I like finding a dime, or wheat penny or other weird stuff.

Then I think, how long before these are worth anything? As long as copper pennies are in circulation, and the melt ban is in place, they ain't going to be worth much. I need three or four times face really just say this was a good deal.

My goal was a ton, so i can't quit until I get there.....no, can't quit on my goal.... :)

It's gonna be a little while. Look at how long it took silver boarders to start seeing a real profit. Give it 10-20 years and you will be glad you were so frugal. It will easily pay off. I'm willing to bet the next commodities boom will be where penny hoarders will see some real $. It will only get better with each one too.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby jerry278 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 am

Nokozan wrote:
slickeast wrote:Do you think this will be the case 10- 15 years from now?

lets focus more on this area "How much was a silver dime worth in 1965?" well thats 1 year after they changed the composition of the dime. the 1982 cent was changed that year so the equivalent of that question would be how much was a copper cent worth 1 year after which was 1983. now lets use real time. this is 30 years later since the compisiton change 30 years of inflation after the debasement and the copper cent is only 2 times face value. now back to silver dime, after 30 years of inflation in the year 1994 i beat it was a heck of a lot more then 2 times face.

The copper cent was worth roughly .7 of a cent in 1983, with production costs bringing it close to 1.1 cents. The zinc penny is actually in a similar boat that the copper penny was in 1983. Perhaps thats why we hear talks of a compostion change..

Although copper has always been a 'semi precious' metal, the public hardly knows this. Thus it would take time for the general public to fully realize coppers 'intrinsic' value. Silver on the other hand has been RECOGNIZED as something with value for thousands of years. Theres also no melt ban on silver coinage. That is a HUGE factor on the price. We all know the extensive industrial uses of silver, as well as in jewelry. Dont think all the silver coinage that was minted is still around today. A LOT got melted down and 'recyled' so to speak.

When you say copper most people think of copper pipes, and think of the stories of junkies breaking into houses to steal some pipes for a few bucks just to get their next fix. Most people realize it has SOME value, but think its value is relativly little, which it is. But thats not to say it doesnt have room to grow. Its affordabilty might be its saving grace in the coming years as an industrial metal. Widespread use would obviously cause the price to appreciate.

It's supply and demand, and right now theres more supply than demand, but many belive thats quickly going to change.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:51 am

You just need more machines!

Or buy a ton and sort another ton. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby ed_vantage17 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:46 am

By sorting and hoarding, you're looking for a 300%+ ROI on a 10+ year investment. I really don't think it's worth it when looking at it from that perspective, when you can realize 30%-50% if you sell now and flip your principal as quickly as possible.

But then again, without hoarders, I couldn't sell my stash now.....
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:55 am

John_doe wrote:Give it 10-20 years...

Rats. I'm most likely going to be dead in twenty years. You guys are bummin' me out.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby csb3tennessee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 pm

Everyone has their own motive for stacking, hoarding, etc. My objective from day one was simply to accumulate a lot of copper cents just from the numismatic standpoint of the copper composition. Just like they don't make steel cents anymore, they don't make copper cents either. So around 1984, I start sorting rolls, and have continued off and on since then. Last year I really picked up steam, but was only getting a 20% yield. I new that I'd never accumulate what I wanted at that rate. I have 7 kids (mostly grown and 3 married), and I wanted to leave a large amount of these to them when I kick the bucket. I believe one day these will be fairly valuable, I'm just not expecting it in my lifetime. Once I realized that I'd never get to my goal by myself, I started buying them from members here and on other sites. I'm pretty much where I want to be- I'll continue to pick up some here and there.
All that being said- I still enjoy the hobby of hand sorting. Extremely relaxing at the end of the day, and who knows- may find an interesting piece. Once I begin to feel the pressure of trying to get thru X amount of boxes in Y amount of time, it becomes work for me- then I back off for a day or two. So in my opinion (not worth a lot), unless one is dedicated to putting in a good bit of time and effort, I don't see a huge return on these anytime in the near future.( Hey- I hope I'm wrong!) :D But in the meantime, I'll just have fun sorting a few, and buying a few!
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:44 pm

I think I'm in it now just to play with the sorter..LOL

Getting a LCD dual display counter for my sorter. The top display will show how many coins are dispensed from the hopper, bottom will show how many are accepted. will keep a running total of my percentages, plus count my coins out into 5 gallon buckets, so each bucket will have exactly 250 in it. And if I do sell I have a easy way to measure out the goods.. :D
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:51 pm

I have the luxury of only being 19. If I want, I can hold onto my hoard for fifty years or more. That makes a 30% or 40% profit right now sound absolutely silly.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Corsair wrote:I have the luxury of only being 19. If I want, I can hold onto my hoard for fifty years or more. That makes a 30% or 40% profit right now sound absolutely silly.

Well, I don't mind holding, but with silver going up so fast, I'm thinking my money might be put to better use in silver.
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:
Corsair wrote:I have the luxury of only being 19. If I want, I can hold onto my hoard for fifty years or more. That makes a 30% or 40% profit right now sound absolutely silly.

Well, I don't mind holding, but with silver going up so fast, I'm thinking my money might be put to better use in silver.

I imagine we'll see copper cents selling for six cents each sooner than we'll see a silver dime selling for twelve dollars.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 pm

csb3tennessee wrote:Everyone has their own motive for stacking, hoarding, etc. My objective from day one was simply to accumulate a lot of copper cents just from the numismatic standpoint of the copper composition. Just like they don't make steel cents anymore, they don't make copper cents either. So around 1984, I start sorting rolls, and have continued off and on since then. Last year I really picked up steam, but was only getting a 20% yield. I new that I'd never accumulate what I wanted at that rate. I have 7 kids (mostly grown and 3 married), and I wanted to leave a large amount of these to them when I kick the bucket. I believe one day these will be fairly valuable, I'm just not expecting it in my lifetime. Once I realized that I'd never get to my goal by myself, I started buying them from members here and on other sites. I'm pretty much where I want to be- I'll continue to pick up some here and there.
All that being said- I still enjoy the hobby of hand sorting. Extremely relaxing at the end of the day, and who knows- may find an interesting piece. Once I begin to feel the pressure of trying to get thru X amount of boxes in Y amount of time, it becomes work for me- then I back off for a day or two. So in my opinion (not worth a lot), unless one is dedicated to putting in a good bit of time and effort, I don't see a huge return on these anytime in the near future.( Hey- I hope I'm wrong!) :D But in the meantime, I'll just have fun sorting a few, and buying a few!

Outstanding hoarding philosophy I must say... :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:Well, I don't mind holding, but with silver going up so fast, I'm thinking my money might be put to better use in silver.

It's been strangely amusing this past week to watch my copper holdings--both mayonnaise jars--drop in value by the same amount my small pile of silver dimes increases.

Y'know, I used to keep a sign on my desk when I was in the carwash biz: "Never despair, but if you do, work on in despair." Edmund Burke.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sadalit/2283012003/
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm

I just can't bring myself to buy a sorter. I started hand sorting many decades ago and, for many reasons, it still seems like the right way for me at least. So maybe I'm a purist, but there's something exciting about seeing the reverse of an Indian cent (or even a wheat cent these days) lurking in the pile. I've been known to remove those with the reverse still up and set them aside. Having my fill of hand sorting for any one time, I then allow myself a chance to look at the front. The anticipation is priceless, although the value of the treasure usually isn't. My best find of a couple weeks ago was a 1911 in at least VG. Where in the world was that for the past 100 years?

I suspect the percentage of Cu will drop below 10% within a couple of years. I may then abandon my search through rolls or bags, but it's certainly been fun. Machine sorting becomes more of a task than a personal involvement, in my opinion. My world is fast-paced enough without having a self-imposed copper quota. Hand sorting copper is about as low-tech as one can get. Maybe that's why I like it so much.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:44 am

Know Common Cents wrote:I just can't bring myself to buy a sorter. I started hand sorting many decades ago and, for many reasons, it still seems like the right way for me at least. So maybe I'm a purist, but there's something exciting about seeing the reverse of an Indian cent (or even a wheat cent these days) lurking in the pile. I've been known to remove those with the reverse still up and set them aside. Having my fill of hand sorting for any one time, I then allow myself a chance to look at the front. The anticipation is priceless, although the value of the treasure usually isn't. My best find of a couple weeks ago was a 1911 in at least VG. Where in the world was that for the past 100 years?

I suspect the percentage of Cu will drop below 10% within a couple of years. I may then abandon my search through rolls or bags, but it's certainly been fun. Machine sorting becomes more of a task than a personal involvement, in my opinion. My world is fast-paced enough without having a self-imposed copper quota. Hand sorting copper is about as low-tech as one can get. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Using a Ryedale is the best of both worlds... I machine sort the copper, then I sort the copper pile for wheats canadians and the BU coppers etc.. I pile the wheats to one side and after sorting, I usually have 20 or so wheats to pick thru... hoping for a goodie.. just got a 1913 last night..also found a clipped planchet
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 am

One of my biggest hesitations about buying a Ryedale was losing all the fun of finding Wheats. The most surprising thing I've discovered this far is that the use of a Ryedale actually increases the number of Wheats and Indian Heads you find. Because I was able to quadruple the amount of cents I processed, I find so many more Wheats - sure, since I only find them as I process, it's not 100%, but the number is much larger than when I was a hand sorter. Something to think about.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 am

you can use the machine to throw all the zincs out, and hand sort what is left also... :D

Corsair wrote:One of my biggest hesitations about buying a Ryedale was losing all the fun of finding Wheats. The most surprising thing I've discovered this far is that the use of a Ryedale actually increases the number of Wheats and Indian Heads you find. Because I was able to quadruple the amount of cents I processed, I find so many more Wheats - sure, since I only find them as I process, it's not 100%, but the number is much larger than when I was a hand sorter. Something to think about.
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Nokozan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:35 pm

"Well, I don't mind holding, but with silver going up so fast, I'm thinking my money might be put to better use in silver."

QFT i just cant get over the fact i could have 1000 face in copper cents or i could have 1000 in silver and be much better off.
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing