Is Canada invading the US one cent at a time?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is Canada invading the US one cent at a time?

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 pm

As the US dollar slips down up goes are count of Canadian cents. We are now getting 25-40 per $50 of cents. Most are pre 1997 coppers. Is it only here in Oregon that this is going on?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Is Canada invading the US one cent at a time?

Postby jerry278 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:59 pm

I've noticed it too actually. Not as much as you but still about 10 per $25 box. I'll still dont understand how a service like Brinks manages to fill boxes with a SINGLE Canadian penny. Considering the higher purity content, I am not complaining though.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:10 am

The united states has a pretty big debt racked up to Canada. I doubt they would (intentionally)give us more money to waste on stupid crap that we don't need. ;)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby marhjan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 am

The Canadian dollar's relative strenght should lead to increased tourism in the US by Canadians. I remember going to Montreal in 2005 and how much further the greenback went back then. A trip to Montreal now would be MUCH more expensive. I'm guessing the tourists are bringing the coins south.
There's no government like NO GOVERNMENT!

http://www.bitcoinplus.com/generate?for=818142 - if you just want to be nice ;-)
marhjan

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:20 am

Here in the once independent nation of Texas, I am finding 4-5 Canadian pennies per $25 box. Of course, we are much farther from the frozen land of Canucks, but, on the other hand, even fewer Mexican coins slip their way into the MWRs so distance is not the only explanation. May I ask that those of you who reside in Canada place little-tiny-baby homing devices on all the pennies you handle so we can document their travels and settle this issue once and for all?

And now that the Canadian currency is worth so much more, could someone tell me how much property I can buy in downtown Toronto with the jar of Canadian coins I have found so far?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:04 am

I had 9 from a String box last night. CWR's are another thing. Big French-Canadian influence here in Bristol...lots of travel back and forth. Can often find 10 in a roll.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:28 am

I get 20 or so per 50 dollar bank bag.. pretty much on par with wheaties... any market for these? I have about 10 lbs...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby doug » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 am

Up here in Michigan on the Canadian border I find whole rolls of Canadian pennies at a time. I asked the bank years ago and they said unlike other Canadian coins the penny has traded at par for years to add to the US pennies in circulation.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:57 am

with a jar of pennies you might be able to pay for the postage of the empty jar to anywhere in Toronto to anywhere else in Toronto. Then again it might cost more.

Ive been seeing more US nickels in my CWRs since the parity came again but I havent noticed a change with the pennies
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 pm

about 6-7 per $25 in mid georgia.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Here in the Los Angeles area I have been averaging 3 copper Canadians per string box--I would prefer much more..somewhere around 100% would be nice. :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:50 pm

henrysmedford wrote:We are now getting 25-40 per $50 of cents. Most are pre 1997 coppers.

Sounds about like the percentage I've been getting--darn near as many Canadians as wheats.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:34 pm

There dollar is worth more than ours so we might as well take them!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby nero12345 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm finding just as many USA pennies up here in Canada. Pre 97' Canadian pennies are great anyway because of thier very high grade and copper content. I actually got busted with a whole roll of nickels from the states the other day. They didn't care about the exchange rate, but because we can only get 36 usa nickels in a roll instead of 40 canadian they were pissed. Oh well i'll have to mix them up a bit i guess. Couldn't hide my smile that well,i just laughed.I can play dumb as good as the next guy. When our exchange rate was under par then i saved everyone and turned them in when i went to visit my buddies down there. Won't do that now and maybe not for awhile it seems.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:14 pm

I picked up a few boxes of nickels today and one of them was half solid american rolls. It sucks when you are on the hunt for .999Ni but the odd war nick helps bring up the spirits.

great signature nero
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby didou » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:49 am

I find about the same amount of wheats and George V and i get on average 47 U.S. copper coin each box here in Canada, probably twice as much when counting the zinc one but i don't keep stats on them, so the U.S. still has the advantage on the penny invasion.

For the nickels it's a lot less, around 3-4 U.S. coins each FV $40
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby psi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:33 am

Pennies do seem do be the biggest for that, maybe because they are thought of more as a token or placeholder in transactions rather than as 'serious money'.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Number21 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:38 pm

How about this - is it legal to melt Canadian pennies that I find here in the US? :D
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby nero12345 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:01 pm

I read this before that it was not illegal to melt foriegn coin but to find a scrapper to do it may be difficult. They may just not even want to touch them.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Number21 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:08 am

Can Canadian coppers be sorted from US coppers with a comparitor?
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby anarchir » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:17 pm

I am in central WI and I've been getting slightly less canadians than wheats.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby merchoarder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 pm

In western NY I get about one pre-96 per roll on average. Often many more, can't say that i mind at all! Wish there were more!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverhedgehog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:00 am

I consistantly find and save 5-6% copper Canadian pennies out of what I sort in Buffalo, NY.
silverhedgehog
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing