"BROKEN PACKAGE" and my mail carrier is real peeeeed off!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: "BROKEN PACKAGE" and my mail carrier is real peeeeed off

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:53 am

Yep, the flat rate box is a smokin' deal. I take advantage of it regularly. The boxes are just so darn convenient. In the old days if we wanted to ship $100 in pennies we would have to pack it 4 flat rate envelopes with lots of tape. Loved those 17 pound packages of wheat cents. They used to call me Mr. 320 at more than 1 post office. Back before the flat rate envelope we had to ship our pennies by UPS.. and that wasn't cheap. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby tn-dave » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 am

Well I experienced an interesting twist for the flat rate box with my carrier yesterday. I did a trade with a member here for $100FV of copper cents. Well, when I got home yesterday one of the P.O "pink slips" was in the mailbox.

My carrier has always done a great job about leaving oversized packages on the front porch out of the weather. Usually with one of these slips that says "package on front porch swing". To my surprise, this one says "package too heavy to deliver".. what..? -- and another section says "can be picked up before 4pm"

The window at our P.O. branch closes at 4pm during the week (this is a really small, rural branch) and it is impossible with our work schedules to get home before then. But my wife just happens to have a doctor's appt. Wednesday and she is going to go by there and pick it up. Like I said this is a small branch and I don't want to call and stir anything up. Never had any problems in the past and I don't want to come home to my mail all over the yard or items start "getting lost".

Has anyone who has shipped a lot of these flat rate boxes every heard of anything like this happening before..??
"too heavy to deliver"
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:31 am

tn-dave wrote:Well I experienced an interesting twist for the flat rate box with my carrier yesterday. I did a trade with a member here for $100FV of copper cents. Well, when I got home yesterday one of the P.O "pink slips" was in the mailbox.

My carrier has always done a great job about leaving oversized packages on the front porch out of the weather. Usually with one of these slips that says "package on front porch swing". To my surprise, this one says "package too heavy to deliver".. what..? -- and another section says "can be picked up before 4pm"

The window at our P.O. branch closes at 4pm during the week (this is a really small, rural branch) and it is impossible with our work schedules to get home before then. But my wife just happens to have a doctor's appt. Wednesday and she is going to go by there and pick it up. Like I said this is a small branch and I don't want to call and stir anything up. Never had any problems in the past and I don't want to come home to my mail all over the yard or items start "getting lost".

Has anyone who has shipped a lot of these flat rate boxes every heard of anything like this happening before..??
"too heavy to deliver"

Yes! Last year I bought out the remaining inventory of a Canadian coin dealer here in the U.S. He shipped me 14 40-65lb packages and the post office refused to deliver them!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby pennypicker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:10 am

highroller4321 wrote:Yes! Last year I bought out the remaining inventory of a Canadian coin dealer here in the U.S. He shipped me 14 40-65lb packages and the post office refused to deliver them!

Wow, this dealer paid for a specific service on his end and on the other end the post office refused to complete this service. Seems logical that the sender is entitled to at least a partial refund for "services not fully :D rendered".
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:17 am

I really like 90% of the postal employees I deal with, some are coin collectors too so we have good conversation. 10% are a$$hats or severely emotionally disturbed. I had a really heavy box of copper delivered and the mail lady just beeped her horn to have me come out and actually lift it out of the back of the jeep myself. I was happy to as she is pretty old and skinny and I could see how she might have hurt herself. I am thankful to the USPS except that yesterday they raised the small first class parcel rates, so shipping just a few coins just got more expensive.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 am

blackrabbit wrote:she is pretty old and skinny and I could see how she might have hurt herself.

I can fully understand why an old, skinny mail lady would not want to lift a 70# pound box even though her job description requires her to do so. The lady is just trying to make a living and I give her credit for that. It's the lazy, overpaid "brass" at USPS that needs to get off their behinds and start lifting some of these 70# boxes--literally :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

pennypicker wrote:
blackrabbit wrote:she is pretty old and skinny and I could see how she might have hurt herself.

I can fully understand why an old, skinny mail lady would not want to lift a 70# pound box even though her job description requires her to do so. The lady is just trying to make a living and I give her credit for that. It's the lazy, overpaid "brass" at USPS that needs to get off their behinds and start lifting some of these 70# boxes--literally :D

I have the post office come by just about everyday to make a pickup. The "new" normal guy that comes is pretty good about helping me load the boxes into the BMC's (BMC=the post office shipping containers). My "old" normal guy was a pretty stocky but built guy. Everytime he came over he would have an excuse on why he couldn't put the boxes in the BMC. "oh i hurt my back, i strained my groin, my hand hurts, blah blah blah blah".
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 pm

I love my letter carrier...every once in a while she will stop what she is doing and attend to me personally..if you know what i mean.... ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm

fasteddy wrote:I love my letter carrier...every once in a while she will stop what she is doing and attend to me personally..if you know what i mean.... ;)

In other words she's one postal carrier who really "delivers". :D
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing