Liberty Dollar

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Liberty Dollar

Postby Tantalar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:20 pm

What do you guys think about someone minting a "Liberty Coin" out of copper which would consist of different denominations maybe 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound, and 1 pound. It would stay very far away from any use of the words "dollar" or "usa" or "under god" or anything else related to US Dollars...but rather simply be printed "Liberty Coin" with the weight on it. Perhaps you could even throw a print of Ron Paul's face on it.

I bet people would absolutely eat that up. I am strongly considering getting into it because at the least it would be fun for sure with a fairly low start up (at least compared to melting down gold or silver!) although you could melt down those with the same idea obviously.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Liberty Dollar

Postby natsb88 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Tantalar wrote:What do you guys think about someone minting a "Liberty Coin" out of copper which would consist of different denominations maybe 1/4 pound, 1/2 pound, and 1 pound. It would stay very far away from any use of the words "dollar" or "usa" or "under god" or anything else related to US Dollars...but rather simply be printed "Liberty Coin" with the weight on it. Perhaps you could even throw a print of Ron Paul's face on it.

I bet people would absolutely eat that up. I am strongly considering getting into it because at the least it would be fun for sure with a fairly low start up (at least compared to melting down gold or silver!) although you could melt down those with the same idea obviously.

Minting is significantly more expensive than pouring if you plan on making them yourself.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby realfoot » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:03 pm

maybe.novelty rounds are already out there.i would prefer it in the form of legal tender.no down side.
in God i trust. all others pay with precious metals.
realfoot

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:07 pm

You can't call it a coin - only sovereign governments can mint coin (at least according to the federal government)
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Somnophore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:22 am

I think you would have to call it a bullion round or similar
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby timmus0382 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:36 am

"Copper Trade Unit" will it be one pound .999 at 16 oz. or one pound .999 at 16.8 oz. This little difference will affect the price. I'm fairly sure cooper prices are measured in 16 oz. pounds and not 12 oz. Troy pounds. Correct me if I'm wrong. I personally don't like something that says .999 and is 5% overweight.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ShireSilver » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:57 am

timmus0382 wrote:"Copper Trade Unit" will it be one pound .999 at 16 oz. or one pound .999 at 16.8 oz. This little difference will affect the price. I'm fairly sure cooper prices are measured in 16 oz. pounds and not 12 oz. Troy pounds. Correct me if I'm wrong. I personally don't like something that says .999 and is 5% overweight.

Yep, silver and gold are Troy, copper is avoirdupois. But why not use a more sensible system?

A gram of copper is about one cent at current prices. A pound is way too much to carry. Something like 10 or 20 grams is much more reasonable for a large piece, and something in the 1-5 gram range is better for small change.

Shire Silver is looking into making something like the attached picture. It would be the size of a credit card, so will fit in your wallet. Either pure copper or brass - not decided yet. The card can be broken into the smaller pieces.
Attachments
CopperCardTenBits6-2.jpg
CopperCardTenBits6-2.jpg (218.05 KiB) Viewed 295 times
ShireSilver

Postby anarchir » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:21 pm

ShireSilver wrote:
timmus0382 wrote:"Copper Trade Unit" will it be one pound .999 at 16 oz. or one pound .999 at 16.8 oz. This little difference will affect the price. I'm fairly sure cooper prices are measured in 16 oz. pounds and not 12 oz. Troy pounds. Correct me if I'm wrong. I personally don't like something that says .999 and is 5% overweight.

Yep, silver and gold are Troy, copper is avoirdupois. But why not use a more sensible system?

A gram of copper is about one cent at current prices. A pound is way too much to carry. Something like 10 or 20 grams is much more reasonable for a large piece, and something in the 1-5 gram range is better for small change.

Shire Silver is looking into making something like the attached picture. It would be the size of a credit card, so will fit in your wallet. Either pure copper or brass - not decided yet. The card can be broken into the smaller pieces.

Whoah whoah whoah, Shire Silver posts on Realcent.org? Sweet. I dont think you guys quite have it down with your cards that may or may not have silver in them (cant take it out to test without breaking the card, and if the card is gone whats the point?). I think you'll get it down eventually though. The picture above looks sweet.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing