First "cast" of season hooks a wild Indian

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

First "cast" of season hooks a wild Indian

Postby aristobolus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

I just bought my first Ryedale, but am waiting on the Dri-Slide to come in. So for old times sake I handsorted a Brinks Box; my first penny sort this year. The mix was for the most part boring, a few wheats, Canadians, etc. But then out of nowhere I hooked an 1882 Indian Head Penny! This is my fourth one in five years! :D

Now its on to some serious Ryedaling! Although most of my time has been spent on acquring silver over the last year, I always try to think counter-intuitive. Very little attention is being given to copper (much like gold and silver previously). Perhaps if a newer, more debased penny is introduced (or if it is eliminated due to hyper-inflation), copper's time will come.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Re: First "cast" of season hooks a wild Indian

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Way to go! I've had some good luck, 2 Indians this year. Just starting to sort via Ryedale. That machine is amazing.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Snake42 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:39 pm

I've found 5 indians in the last 3 months. Really gets me excited every time I see one in the wild.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aristobolus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Chief wrote:Way to go! I've had some good luck, 2 Indians this year. Just starting to sort via Ryedale. That machine is amazing.

Does Indians and other out of the norm coppers and such sometimes end up in the zinc tray?
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Well, first I sort using a nice zinc as the comparer coin. They I sort the zincs and zinc rejects against a copper comparer coin (nice 1981). This way pre-1940's and other coins that don't match either zinc or copper exactly are filtered out. In my running of the zincs against the copper comparer coin, I average 7 or so missed coppers in $100fv mixed pennies. Anyways, I've found my 2 Indians and a 1929 King George V in the second sort, non-copper tray.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby old71 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:55 am

In 3 yrs of hand sorting, I've found one Indian in mint cond, even the girl at the bank was suprised when I showed it to her.
old71

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 am

You should post it to the 2011 IH tracking thread---http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2682 it is your day in the sun. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby andrewjackson » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:43 am

8-) My system is set up using an Indian head as the comparitor coin. This has a tendency to keep the older Wheats in with the copper. Keep an eye on zincs for escaping Indians! Also dri-slide does not work for me. I personally found liquid wrench penetrating oil to be A+++. I can run $300 with no jams. I am sure everyone has their own way of operating. But this method works best for me.
HAPPY HOARDING :D
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing