Advice! How will you sell your silver? In what order?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Advice! How will you sell your silver? In what order?

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon May 02, 2011 11:44 am

I'm going through the same debate myself and wondering about the value of Junk Silver in border crossing situations. Strictly speaking, Junk Silver coinage is just another piece of legal tender, so it seems to me that you could cross the border with a whole lot of it without getting taxed to death. This is assuming that for whatever reason you wanted to expatriate (i.e. permanently leave) and bring your wealth with you. Is there a better way to get your money out without losing it all to taxation?
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:I'm going through the same debate myself and wondering about the value of Junk Silver in border crossing situations. Strictly speaking, Junk Silver coinage is just another piece of legal tender, so it seems to me that you could cross the border with a whole lot of it without getting taxed to death. This is assuming that for whatever reason you wanted to expatriate (i.e. permanently leave) and bring your wealth with you. Is there a better way to get your money out without losing it all to taxation?

That's one reason AGE's have such appeal. At a face value of $50/ounce the multiplier is (currently) 31x. WIth the current 10,000 cash limit, one could legally exit with $10,000/$50 = 200 oz of gold, or about $310,000 per person. Not a fortune, but enough to keep one going for awhile.

The ASE multiplier is greater, but so is the mass. It would be weight prohibitive in most cases to walk off with a large sum of ASEs.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby WileE » Mon May 02, 2011 2:09 pm

SLV first. Keep the rest. Paper is for trading. Metal is for hoarding!
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing