What to look for when sorting copper

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What to look for when sorting copper

Postby gettin copper » Sun May 01, 2011 5:59 am

Hi guys, new to the game here, but learned a ton the last few days from this forum. tyty

I just got my ryedale but not sure I know the correct way to sort. First run all pennies to separate zink from copper. Then completely disregard the zincs? No need to check or keep any? Then hand sort the copper for wheats, ih's, and anything else funcky? Any need to check 1959-81 lincolns for anything special?

thank you, gl
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Re: What to look for when sorting copper

Postby inflationhawk » Sun May 01, 2011 6:46 am

Your method is pretty much how I do it. I try to watch the zinc bucket as I'm sorting to catch anything odd that comes out; old wheats, Indian head, or dimes.

I do double sort my copper accepts. Then I'll hand sort, looking for wheats, and roll the coppers. Zincs go back to the bank loose for the coin counter machine.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Number21 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:25 am

I believe you can set the ryedale to spit out just the wheats, if you use one for a reference coin and sort out the zincs first.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:01 am

This is how I roll. First run a "zinc accept" where you have a post '82 penny in the comparator. Then rerun all the copper with a "copper accept" with a pre '82. This will sort out the older wheat (1941 and older i think) as they have a measurable amonut f tin in them. Now you have "double sorted" copper and some good wheats pulled out.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun May 01, 2011 12:18 pm

If you run a copper accept, and then throw out all the zincs you're going to miss the dimes, older wheats, 2 1/2 dollar gold pieces, steel pennies, etc.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 pm

It's not too hard to spot dimes or steel pennies. I do accept that I'll miss a few older wheat pennies. The few times I have double sorted zincs to try and get older wheats I usually end up with nothing to show for it other than additional wear on the Ryedale. Plus, if you return zincs at a coin counter like the Penny Arcade at TD Bank you have another chance to spot dimes and oddities as you poor them in the top. If it goes in the penny arcade and it's a dime it will give you credit for a dime; if it's a silver dime it should spit it out in the return coin box. Overall, it's just not worth the wear on the Ryedale and the time to re-sort zincs in my opinion. If I were in it to find the oldest and rarest wheat pennies I'd feel differently, but I'm in it for the copper primarily.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun May 01, 2011 3:19 pm

No doubt it's a lot of wear on the comparitor to accept all those zincs. And like you say, you will get credit for the dimes anyway.

I only sort about 150 or so a week, so it's not a big deal for me to run them again.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Part of the reason I do zinc then copper is for the "double sorted" quality that a lot of buyers are looking for. If I poach an old wheat or two, that's a bonus.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Sun May 01, 2011 8:33 pm

I always sort against a zinc comparer first, then resort against a copper comparer. This way I'll get to see what is non-zinc and non-copper (eg. pre-1940's, Indians, George V's). My Ryedale has been a god-send. The only problem is hand sorting the wheats from the pure coppers. Always fun to see what turns up.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby moneydog » Sun May 01, 2011 11:47 pm

new here how many pennies in a pound
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Gamecock » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

i've heard 146 pennies in a pound and 154 for a pound of copper. maybe someone else can confirm
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing