Valueable zinc pennys?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Valueable zinc pennys?

Postby Number21 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:20 pm

I know absolutely nothing about coin collecting or "numismatic" coins. I'm picking my change purely for metal content.

Every now and then I hear about people collecting 2009-10-11 cents. I like these simply because they are easier to sort out with the unique back! :lol: As of now I'm dumping them back at the bank...but should I be keeping them? Are they actually worth anything in circulated condition? (say a full roll of a particular year)

I only recently started seperating my wheats for their extra value...
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Valueable zinc pennys?

Postby fb101 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:55 pm

I have not heard of any special interest in the moderns circulated.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:57 pm

All I can say is to google cent values. But pennies, partially due to the billions minted, have a very wide range of valuable errors and varieties to collectors. Lots of copper ones as well as zinc ones. Wait til you see the numbers $$$$$$ on some of the pennies that you might have taken back to the bank already for only $0.01!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Number21 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 am

What about, for example, a full roll of shiny 2009 cents with the cabin on the back, or the 2010s with the shield. Are they worth saving, at least?

Basically as I hand sort I am very particular, one jar for each for US/Canada, one each for coppers, another for wheats, dirty coppers, and 1982's "to be determined". Should any of the newer ones be seperated out like that, besides random errors?
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby psi » Fri May 06, 2011 5:14 am

I tend to think that any mint rolled coins have potential for some kind of premium, but a lot of what I accumulated I had to return at face when I was short on cash (e.g. new dimes by the box). Circulated may not be worth bothering with for those coins.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing