Can I get this many coins at once?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Can I get this many coins at once?

Postby Number21 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:13 am

I just sold a vehicle and I have $1000 cash burning a hole in my pocket. Does anyone think I can call a bank in advance, and make an order for 40 boxes of $25 pennies? I know they won't have that many on hand normally. I usually only get $25-50 at a time and they have no problem with that, but I wonder if I would need some kind of commercial account to order that much coin? I could drive around town and get $50 bags from a several branches of my credit union...and $25 boxes from a couple of banks...but that is rather tedious...

Better to just get small amounts over a period of time or should I hit them with this bombshell?
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Can I get this many coins at once?

Postby psi » Sun May 08, 2011 6:32 am

Spreading it out over different locations and times seems to be the recommended method not to get banned from buying coins at a bank. It's not hard to source $1000 in higher denomination coins for silver though, why not do some of that while you accumulate the pennies gradually?
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Sun May 08, 2011 6:49 am

What do you intend to do with the zincs?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Number21 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:37 am

Mossy wrote:What do you intend to do with the zincs?

To the credit union where the free coin counter is, but not the same branch where I found 'em. I'm considering paying a $600 bill I have with them... :lol:

psi wrote:Spreading it out over different locations and times seems to be the recommended method not to get banned from buying coins at a bank. It's not hard to source $1000 in higher denomination coins for silver though, why not do some of that while you accumulate the pennies gradually?

Do the banks get mad if you try to order in advance of your pickup though? Rather than just catching them off guard and taking all their coins.

That is a good point with the silver, what is the best bet to search - nickels, dimes, quarters, halves? Never really looked into that before, besides whats in my pockets. Seems funny to me that banks even still have half dollars available.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun May 08, 2011 7:52 am

Put me in the "spread the love" column. Meeting young, pretty tellers is not tedious. You also learn who the not-nice head tellers are, and if you inquire nicely you might find a new dump bank or two. I LOVE cold-calling new banks!

I'd failed to order pennies last Monday, so when I cashed my paycheck, I had to scramble in order to spend it on boxes. (This is part of my new run-the-paycheck-through-the-Ryedale before sending the gas company their share routine.) Between 9:30 and noon on Saturday morning I'd met several nice tellers (some of whom offered to order coins for me for next Saturday), one grumpy head teller (who still managed to come up with $60 in CWRs), and came home with nearly $500 in boxes and CWRs. Also dumped nearly half that many zincs. Coulda spent $1000 on pennies, I'm sure, if I hadn't had to stop at noon for a family function. Get this--I don't have accounts at half the banks I bought pennies at!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OX6603 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 am

I'm new to hoarding/sorting, I've only done $50 in pennies so far, but what seems to work good is go open a new acct and mention ordering change when you do. They'll order whatever you want if it gets them a new account. I also have a business account at a regional bank, so they order for me whether they like it or not.

I'm waiting on a box of halves from my new friends at a smaller bank (did what I said above), as well as 2 boxes of pennies and a box of dimes from my main bank (bus acct). One of the small bank branches will be my dump (they aren't as nice as the other branch).

What I plan on doing is to just order a few each week from each bank, convert most of my "play money" into "keepers", cash out, lather, rinse, repeat, and gradually increase my "play money"
OX6603

Postby psi » Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 am

That is a good point with the silver, what is the best bet to search - nickels, dimes, quarters, halves? Never really looked into that before, besides whats in my pockets. Seems funny to me that banks even still have half dollars available.

I live in Canada so US silver war nicks are rare and halves are not really an option to search, I can say that I've had moderate success here with dimes but none at all with quarters. Halves I would be searching as well if I was in the US.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Sun May 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Search halves if you can get them.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Snake42 » Sun May 08, 2011 2:53 pm

I get $2000 a week in pennies. $1000 at two banks. I worked up to it, but they will do it.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Sun May 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Number21 wrote:I just sold a vehicle and I have $1000 cash burning a hole in my pocket. Does anyone think I can call a bank in advance, and make an order for 40 boxes of $25 pennies? I know they won't have that many on hand normally. I usually only get $25-50 at a time and they have no problem with that, but I wonder if I would need some kind of commercial account to order that much coin? I could drive around town and get $50 bags from a several branches of my credit union...and $25 boxes from a couple of banks...but that is rather tedious...

Better to just get small amounts over a period of time or should I hit them with this bombshell?

I get 500 dollars a week in pennies, but I have to let them know 2 weeks in advance.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun May 08, 2011 8:09 pm

I have a branch or two that would easily order them for me if I want. It all depends on your relationship with the bank. Try and get their bags if you can. A LOT less work than opening all those rolls. Spread some to the silver hunt if you wish, but I would stick to the 50¢ ers....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing