flipping Copper at <1.6 times face

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: flipping Copper at <1.6 times face

Postby ZigMeister » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:40 pm

highroller4321 wrote:
adagirl wrote:As a newbie, I wonder if holding on to the zinc pennies will also turn out to be profitable one day. It may be many years or decades ahead, but it seems to me that zinc pennies are being overlooked. What do you guys think?

Yes, someday zinc pennies will once again be worth of face value. Right now in time though why save a zinc that is woth less than face when you can save a copper that is worth 2+ times face.

I agree with highroller completely...with the % coppers still being what they are, convert what you have available for cent investing from FRNs to copper cents would be the way to go. I wouldn't tie up any money in zinc as long as I can get Cu at todays availability. Someday when Cu dries up in circulating coinage and Zn is going above $ .01 would be the time to consider Zn...but not now.
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. Of course I agree, and I am trying to hoard as much copper as I can in penny form. At the same time I am amassing quite a hoard of zinc pennies, and at this time I am not flipping them to look for more copper. At some point I may flip the zinc to search for more copper, but (for now) I'm in a position where I can hold the zinc and go buy more pennies to search for copper. At some point I may need to dump the zince for $ or dump them for more copper searching. I just wanted to put a feeler out there to see what more seasoned collectors thought. Much appreicated. Thanks!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby OX6603 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:51 am

+1 on sorting while at work. Its like getting a $3/hr raise. I'll eventually machine sort coppers at home, but I'll still sort for silver at work.
OX6603

Postby gojomoso » Sun May 08, 2011 12:53 pm

saying someone buys on my site or on ebay at about 1.5x-1.55 (please do ;) ) I would make about 7-8 per hour, near minimum wage. but with ebay fee's it becomes harder, the only way to make a decent profit is to have your own site or hold till the price goes up. but in my situation i would rather come home and sit for 2 hours sorting than doing nothing, or making a little less and working at my own pace on my own time... idk maybe i just dont want to work for someone :roll:
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun May 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Get rid of the zinc, once all the copper is gone, there will be tons of zinc.

Only way you can come out is if they recall pennies at higher than face value or revalue them to a higher value. Both are possible, but doubtful.

adagirl wrote:Thanks for the advice. Of course I agree, and I am trying to hoard as much copper as I can in penny form. At the same time I am amassing quite a hoard of zinc pennies, and at this time I am not flipping them to look for more copper. At some point I may flip the zinc to search for more copper, but (for now) I'm in a position where I can hold the zinc and go buy more pennies to search for copper. At some point I may need to dump the zince for $ or dump them for more copper searching. I just wanted to put a feeler out there to see what more seasoned collectors thought. Much appreicated. Thanks!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Crescendo » Sun May 08, 2011 2:22 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:Get rid of the zinc, once all the copper is gone, there will be tons of zinc.

Only way you can come out is if they recall pennies at higher than face value or revalue them to a higher value. Both are possible, but doubtful.

adagirl wrote:Thanks for the advice. Of course I agree, and I am trying to hoard as much copper as I can in penny form. At the same time I am amassing quite a hoard of zinc pennies, and at this time I am not flipping them to look for more copper. At some point I may flip the zinc to search for more copper, but (for now) I'm in a position where I can hold the zinc and go buy more pennies to search for copper. At some point I may need to dump the zince for $ or dump them for more copper searching. I just wanted to put a feeler out there to see what more seasoned collectors thought. Much appreicated. Thanks!

I can't think of one time a currency was revalued (not talking about artificially induced inflation or deflation in terms of valuing, but actually REvaluing) that didn't complete screw over the economy. Was there even one point in recent history since the economic take over of the banking systems?
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Sun May 08, 2011 8:15 pm

I just love the fact you can pull these babies out of bank rolls at face and they have a higher intrinsic value...and the thrill of finding a wheat,indian or error...I buy and sell all kinds of things as a full time "job" (Have an antique/junk shop and occasionally ebay,scrap @2x a month) So im always SELLING something,not even considering the cents as something id sell right now...I can buy a ho hum table at a garage sale for 5 bucks,and flip it the same day outa my store for 25 say,you can see why the pennies are just for hoarding....some time in the future,when I have have more,and the price is higher,then Id sell...but i can appreciate everyones situation its either hold or sell,whatever works for you.In a pinch,youve always got the cents to sell at some price thats over face...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing