Dump Banks

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Dump Banks

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue May 10, 2011 5:32 pm

8. Improves bank teller morale. Instead of gossiping about each other, they talk about the crazy and/or eccerntric penny guy.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby gojomoso » Tue May 10, 2011 7:01 pm

"Where'd you get the pennies?"
I sort for wheats
....*drop them off*.....
"Why are you picking up all those pennies?
i'm also picking up $300 worth in pennies just to look for wheats

hehehe
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue May 10, 2011 8:59 pm

:D

CrazyTom wrote:He probably realizes that you know he is doing a job than most women do and is trying to compensate by being a dick.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue May 10, 2011 9:30 pm

CrazyTom wrote:
inflationhawk wrote:I use the wheat penny story too. There is this one young desk jockey that always seems to be at my dump bank no matter when I go. He often comes over and will stand right beside me as I am dumping pennies (usually about $70 worth). He keeps grilling me like he doesn't believe me. He'll ask how much wheat pennies are worth and if I sell them. He says the other day, "wheat pennies are made of copper aren't they? I was reading the other day that copper pennies are worth more than face value." It seems he's trying to push me down the path of admitting I'm sorting for copper. This guy is really annoying. He gives me the "uh huh" skeptical look every time I answer his questions. He knows what I'm after and he's just intent on trying to make me admit me. Like it's a crime or something! Next time I'll tell him the fountain story, I liked that one too. Maybe I'll start coming up with more and more outrageous stories.

He probably realizes that you know he is doing a job than most women do and is trying to compensate by being a dick.

:lol: Laughed my ass off when I read this one! :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Tue May 10, 2011 9:38 pm

I have a fun time. This all started with giving my son Franklin who has autism some thing to do. We have been at this for four years. The first were just looking for wheats and odd things.Now we have a Ryedale and keep the copper. He sorts about $300 a week. First by hand then by Rydale.
I think Franklin makes the the tellers day. Lately he has been asking the tellers are you married . He has asked if he could marry the single ones. He also has tried to set up two singles up who work in the same branch. The best one is when one said said I am single and Franklin said do you want me to find you someone. :D
Franklin at fourteen still has a hard time understanding. We were dumping coins at a bank were the counter is behind the counter. It was Christmas Eve and they had had the treats out. I had to keep my boys from eating because we were going out to dinner. At the next teller over I saw a customer from were I work . A he had got a piece of pizza from them as they we eating in. Franklin started to full apart wanting some pizza. I said quite loud to Franklin they are just taking of old Dave. Then Frank said is he homeless. Dave has told me now when he go in to the bank they call him homeless.
Joe
Franklins Dad
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Number21 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:The banks "job" is to make a profit for the stockholders. Nobody has a constitutional right to have financial institutions supply their hoard.

The bank's job is to make every customer that enters the door as happy as they possibly can. That's how they make profit for the stockholders. For that matter, the customer coming in the door to drop pennies might BE a stockholder as well...

Banks that piss of their customers, go out of business, and the stockholders get screwed.

If I'm already a customer of a particular bank, they damn sure better add deposits to my account in whatever form I bring them and let me withdraw my money in any legal US currency...
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Number21 wrote:The bank's job is to make every customer that enters the door as happy as they possibly can. That's how they make profit for the stockholders. For that matter, the customer coming in the door to drop pennies might BE a stockholder as well...

Banks that piss of their customers, go out of business, and the stockholders get screwed.

If I'm already a customer of a particular bank, they damn sure better add deposits to my account in whatever form I bring them and let me withdraw my money in any legal US currency...

Ok, I'd be the happy as I could possibly be if the bank just gave me a wad full of cash and told me to keep it. You'd have lots of happy costumers. How long is that bank going to last?

You depositing money, withdrawing it, and ordering coins from them is not profitable. In fact it costs them money. (Unless your paying some fees for doing so). Banks profit from #1 lending money #2 fees. Ordering in coins does not make a profit for the bank, it costs them money. You deposting money costs them. You making withdraw costs them money. The bank (and it's stockholders) profit from lending and fee services.

The bank may even refuse your business if your not a profitable customer and frankly I don't blame them.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Number21 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:59 am

exbingoaddict wrote:Banks profit from #1 lending money #2 fees.

And where do they get that money they lend? From the guy dumping pennies in the lobby. Just because someone is dumping some change into the machine doesn't mean that is their entire life savings.

If I've got an account at the bank with any money in it, then they owe me something while they are barrowing MY money. Either interest or free banking services. Chances are the person using the change sorter also takes advantages of other banking services from the same branch - unless they go and piss that customer off.

And, BTW, I saved the bank money today by picking up two bags of pennies that would have otherwise had to be shipped back somewhere else to get rolled and returned at great expense. I did them a favor.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby OX6603 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 am

Number21 wrote:

And where do they get that money they lend? From the guy dumping pennies in the lobby. Just because someone is dumping some change into the machine doesn't mean that is their entire life savings.

If I've got an account at the bank with any money in it, then they owe me something while they are barrowing MY money. Either interest or free banking services. Chances are the person using the change sorter also takes advantages of other banking services from the same branch - unless they go and piss that customer off.

And, BTW, I saved the bank money today by picking up two bags of pennies that would have otherwise had to be shipped back somewhere else to get rolled and returned at great expense. I did them a favor.

Actually the bank makes money by borring money from the fed for next to nothing and loaning it out. They don't need you and your pennies. Not how it SHOULD work, but that's how it IS. So don't [shucks] on your bank thinking THEY need YOU.
OX6603

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Wed May 11, 2011 8:21 am

1. My wife was using them for a Sunday school project to teach kids about saving, giving and spending.
2. Our church had a penny drive (these seem to be popular these days) to raise money for __________.

For the first time ever when picking up pennies, the teller asked me, "So are you a copper hunter?" :lol:
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed May 11, 2011 10:41 am

Number21 wrote:

21, Hate to burst your bubble but the bank could give a rats behind about your savings account unless you have Rockfella level money in it. It costs them money to have the change machine out there, it costs them money to send you a statement, it costs them money to have tellers wait on you, etc. Unless your major borrower, the bank isn't going to finch if you took all your business away from them.

Right now, in this current lending market, if a bank picked up the phone and asked for five million dollars in overnight money they'd get in less then hour. Your passbook savings account is not floating the bank.

Ok you took two bags of pennies off their hands. You saved em couple bucks in transport fees. Their not going to throw a party for you.

Now I don't mean to be smart or short or disagreeable. Trying to explain how the bank business works. I've sat on a bank board of directors for over five years. I'm not just making this stuff up.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed May 11, 2011 10:54 am

OX6603 wrote:
Number21 wrote:

Actually the bank makes money by borring money from the fed for next to nothing and loaning it out. They don't need you and your pennies. Not how it SHOULD work, but that's how it IS. So don't [shucks] on your bank thinking THEY need YOU.

OX6603, exactamundo! Banks can pick up the phone and get all the money they need in this market. Nobody is waiting for somebody to dump Grandma's change into a machine and deposit it to her passport savings account.

Just look at the savings and CD rates. Banks don't need nor want your money very badly.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby cfnnb » Wed May 11, 2011 3:17 pm

How about that you clean out car wash vacuums?[/quote]

That is a good one to say. When I worked at a car wash the coins that came through the vaccuuma were disgusting and would probably jam the maching though!
cfnnb
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CrazyTom » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

cfnnb wrote:How about that you clean out car wash vacuums?

That is a good one to say. When I worked at a car wash the coins that came through the vaccuuma were disgusting and would probably jam the maching though![/quote]

A long time ago I would spy out unlocked vacuums at gas stations. I would pull up next to it and go through the motions but was using the vehicle to shield my emptying the bin from the clerk. I would quickly dump everything in a cardboard box. I would hose the cache off in the yard when I got home.

Now they are all locked everywhere I go!
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Wed May 11, 2011 11:41 pm

You would think that

a. They would know the content and value of money being that they work in a bank

or

b. Get curious with the millions of pennies and do some research into it
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Wed May 11, 2011 11:45 pm

My dump bank is actually really nice, but they never really ask me the "right" questions to pick my brain. They seem interested, but I think they are interested for other reasons.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing