Rant...Wish someone would explain these play pennies to me..

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Rant...Wish someone would explain these play pennies to me..

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun May 08, 2011 9:42 pm

You know, those dang plastic pennies that look real and sometimes jam the hell out your sorter...what's the purpose behind them. They are no safer than real pennies to play with and they cost more. :?

http://www.amazon.com/School-Smart-Bulk-Play-Money/dp/B003U6SOEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304908694&sr=8-1

I mean what idiot pays four bucks for a dollars worth of play pennies. just give the kid 100 real pennies and stop jamming up my machine.. :x
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: Rant...Wish someone would explain these play pennies to

Postby Chief » Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 pm

I understand your feelings as well. Makes no sense to pay more than a penny for plastic pennies. Just give the kids real pennies.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 pm

No kidding. There's less lead in a zinc penny than a chinese plastic penny.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Chief » Sun May 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Thogey wrote:No kidding. There's less lead in a zinc penny than a chinese plastic penny.

That is for sure. :lol:
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Number21 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Hmmm...the pennies are stupid...but the quarters and halves are a lot cheaper than the real thing to let children play with...
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun May 08, 2011 10:48 pm

Funny this thread should pop up tonight. I just found my first plastic penny in my sorting. What's a mystery to me is how it got in my copper bin. I found it when hand sorting for wheats before I roll them.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby andrewjackson » Sun May 08, 2011 10:56 pm

:lol: I found one this week also, maybe there's a chinnese hoard of them being dumped into our currency!!!
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mossy » Mon May 09, 2011 12:32 am

Lead is not the issue. If someone swallows a clad zinc and the stomach acid eats through the copper, the zinc and stomach acid forms a very nasty poison. I'm sacking out, someone else can follow up on what, etc.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jerry278 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:00 am

Mossy wrote:Lead is not the issue. If someone swallows a clad zinc and the stomach acid eats through the copper, the zinc and stomach acid forms a very nasty poison. I'm sacking out, someone else can follow up on what, etc.

When I was a kid my infant brother swallowed a penny. Came out the next day in his diaper, intact. Didnt check if it was pre 82' or not :roll:
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Mon May 09, 2011 1:23 am

I have found a few in circulation, typically in the bags.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Number21 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 am

Mossy wrote:Lead is not the issue. If someone swallows a clad zinc and the stomach acid eats through the copper, the zinc and stomach acid forms a very nasty poison. I'm sacking out, someone else can follow up on what, etc.

I thought that was an issue with dogs...not people....but I could be wrong....

I'm sure a good shiny penny would be safe, it's the ones that are already chewed up with exposed zinc that can be a problem.
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby sparechange » Mon May 09, 2011 8:25 am

Hate the whole plastic coin deal. My son's teacher sends home a small ziploc with a few coins in it so he can learn to count money. I guess if she sent home the real money she might never see it back. Most teachers aren't paid enough as it is, but to send real money home with my son? I suppose she also knows most people don't have much real spare change around as it is spent on gas and food.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm

jerry278 wrote:

When I was a kid my infant brother swallowed a penny. Came out the next day in his diaper, intact. Didnt check if it was pre 82' or not :roll:

You didn't check the date? That is funny right there. :lol:
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue May 10, 2011 2:35 am

Chief wrote:
jerry278 wrote:

You didn't check the date? That is funny right there. :lol:

I don't think the date checking is worth it for the (at least) 2X gain.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rickygee » Tue May 10, 2011 6:27 pm

This is really a hoot! Just got my first plastic penny today. Ten bucks worth of Garda wrapped rolls. The 'penny' says "School Money" on top of the obverse and instead of a date it has four stars. Because it's my first I think it's cool.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue May 10, 2011 8:58 pm

My first was cool, my second got got in my comparitor.... :)
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Thu May 12, 2011 12:10 am

rickygee wrote:This is really a hoot! Just got my first plastic penny today. Ten bucks worth of Garda wrapped rolls. The 'penny' says "School Money" on top of the obverse and instead of a date it has four stars. Because it's my first I think it's cool.

It's all fun and games until it jams the ryedale. 8-)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Gobirds » Sun May 15, 2011 4:48 pm

You guys just figured out what is wrong with our country. We would rather have our children "pretend" than get out there and learn with the real thing. Plastic pennies are just an example of other things our education screws up....Sorry to rant. Give the kids pennies, teach them to balance a checkbook, and show them how to make money so they can pay taxes.
Gobirds

Postby Corsair » Sun May 15, 2011 5:56 pm

As a recent graduate of our broken school system, I can vouch for the play pennies. I know that even in Senior year, kids would steal them if the teacher turned their back. For learning purposes, plastic coins are the only way to go.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby kagarise » Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 pm

ts okay i graduated high school in 2009 there are two girls that stick out in my mind
the first didn't know how much a dime was worth and also didn't know how to read an analog clock
and the other we were in the 3rd quarter of our plant science class and this was her piece of wisdom "so its kind of like plants are alive"
also me and my buddy were joking about the zombie apocalypse and she was like oh zombies are cool and i believe in bats too
gotta love my generation :?
kagarise
Penny Sorter Member

Postby totalcount » Tue May 17, 2011 7:40 pm

kagarise wrote:ts okay i graduated high school in 2009 there are two girls that stick out in my mind
the first didn't know how much a dime was worth and also didn't know how to read an analog clock

:o No really, I don't usually go for the stupid smiley things but :o. That's unbelievable.
totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Centsation » Tue May 17, 2011 7:42 pm

kagarise wrote:ts okay i graduated high school in 2009 there are two girls that stick out in my mind
and the other we were in the 3rd quarter of our plant science class and this was her piece of wisdom "so its kind of like plants are alive"
also me and my buddy were joking about the zombie apocalypse and she was like oh zombies are cool and i believe in bats too
gotta love my generation :?

Haha "so it's kind of like plants are alive". I honestly laughed out loud when I read this :lol: I've known for a while that our public school system isn't great, but after reading that, I don't know what to think.
Centsation

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing