All New Pennies

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

All New Pennies

Postby avidbrandy » Sat May 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Hello. I just recently joined because I heard about this place, and I enjoy searching through pennies.

I just went to the bank today and got 2 boxes of pennies from them. Upon opening them I discovered that both boxes were completely full of brand new 2011 pennies.

I was wondering 1. Is there anything worth looking through in these. I haven't open most of the rolls because they're just all 2011. and 2. Will this likely occur more often at banks that I frequent more? Do I have to wait for other people to turn in pennies in order to get good rolls?

Thank you for your time.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: All New Pennies

Postby Roadrunner » Sat May 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Welcome!

Sell any full boxes of all 2011 pennies you get on eBay.

Same thing happened to me! See my auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Centsation » Sat May 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Welcome to the board! The answer to your first question is No, there is no point searching through new rolls. Like Roadrunner said, the best thing to do with them is sell them on eBay. Also, to answer your second question, it is more common to get boxes that are mixed dates than to get boxes of all new pennies. I think I've only gotten 4 new boxes in the last year of searching rolls. Hope this helps!
Centsation

Postby avidbrandy » Sat May 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Wow.

Thank you very much. This was much more than I was expecting to get out of this post. This may be my new favorite place. :D

One more question. Would it be beneficial to hold on to a few of the rolls for a while? Do people pay a bit more later on (say 5 years or so) for these same rolls?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat May 21, 2011 8:14 pm

I have played the new penny game for years. The prices are almost always best immediately after release. They start going down from that point and rarely recover to the same level.. even many years later. You are pretty much always ahead if you take your profit off the table while the market is hot. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby inflationhawk » Sat May 21, 2011 9:43 pm

I seem to get 'new' boxes from Bank of America more than any other bank. And they aren't always new throughout the box. I tested this assumption more than once and have found random pennies from other years mysteriously show up in the middle of some rolls. This is what keeps me from selling mine on eBay...there is no way I can prove every roll is brand new. Even with all the end pennies showing as new, you just don't know. I guess people that buy and sell these my never crack them open to find out, but I've tested the assumption and can say firsthand that it's not always what it seems.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 am

avidbrandy, welcome to the madness, from what part of Texas do you sort? @ inflationhawk, your dirty rolls were they in the white and red print paper( NF String) or were they the brown paper with red print or the poly tubes?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 am

fasteddy wrote:avidbrandy, welcome to the madness, from what part of Texas do you sort? @ inflationhawk, your dirty rolls were they in the white and red print paper( NF String) or were they the brown paper with red print or the poly tubes?

I have seen both red NF String 'dirty' rolls and brown ones. I have about 10 boxes of red print NF string rolls that have measured out to 6380 grams which seems to imply that they are very likely all zinc. 2500 zinc pennies would be 6250 grams and that leaves 130 grams for the box and paper. My scale can be 10 to 20 grams off for this much weight though. I am not going to sort them. My thought was to save them up and then take a trip to a bank branch I don't normally pick up from or dump to and deposit them. I'll just tell them I have a smart a$$ friend that owed me a few hundred bucks and paid me in pennies.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I've gotten both the red and white and brown and red rolls. The brown and red rolls I've picked up so far were from Chase. The white ones were from a credit union. I'm currently in San Antonio.

I just picked up another box from Chase today and it had about 20 rolls all 2011, another 10 or so that were all 2011 except for a single copper penny somewhere near the middle of the roll, and the rest were random. First time I've encountered that.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 am

I process the dirty rolls by cracking all the rolls and rerolling them myself in N.F. String & Son paper. That way I can be sure they are pure and everybody is happy. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby inflationhawk » Wed May 25, 2011 6:11 am

Yes HCBTT, but your in an entire other league than us mere mortals!

I still remember the roll I opened that was all 2011s except for one wheat penny in the middle. Bizarre!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Wed May 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Found 3 boxes of 2011-D's today. Woohoo, ebay here we come.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 am

I got a box of 2011-D's at one of my banks yesterday. That is usually the sign that they are not worth anything anymore.. lol. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I got a box of 2011-D's at one of my banks yesterday. That is usually the sign that they are not worth anything anymore.. lol. :mrgreen:

Just about! :D
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing