That was weird

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

That was weird

Postby shinnosuke » Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 pm

I was just checking a roll of pennies from one of my normal Brinks boxes from my usual pick up bank. The results:

1984: 3
1983: 5
1982: 8
1979-81: 33
1967: 1

50 pennies, none later than 1984! It is by far the best percentage roll I have ever found. (Still waiting for the all wheat sweetness to fall upon me.)

Twilight Zone. It's as if the roll had fallen behind a shelf almost 30 years ago and had only recently been rediscovered and stuck in a box.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: That was weird

Postby pennypicker » Tue May 24, 2011 10:16 pm

That is a weird roll. But a 68+% cu success rate is my kind of weird... :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Yeah, throw me in that briar patch any day...

I didn't check those eight 1982's in that roll, but normally my copper rate is about 85% for 1982 so I know I got more than 68%. Normally, I get around 12%...yucky.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 am

Great cu%!! :) Hope you find more rolls like that.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed May 25, 2011 4:57 am

Shortly after I joined RC, at Christmas-time, I posted that I had picked up about $150 face that were all like that. Bank said the Grandkids had brought in their granddad's stash after he died. He had rolled them as a function of time, over 30+ years, stored them in the garage, and they turned them in. Each roll had a max date, no coins after that date, starting in the early 70s. It was a bit weird. Like a time machine, as you said. Most of them were all cu. Only as the rolls got up into the early 80s did they shift to partial cu. In the 80s and early 90s (where they stopped), you could almost track the drop in cu percent as a function of year.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby psi » Wed May 25, 2011 6:25 am

I got something like that earlier this week, 10 rolls out of this one box had nothing older than 1979. Most of the 1979 and 1978 pennies looked more or less BU and I saved 2-3 rolls of those. I have seen the same thing before with dates into the 1980s. It's like someone rolled up the coins back then and returned them 25-30 years later.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu May 26, 2011 2:24 am

These are the times where you can take some assurance knowing there are still a tremendous amount of pennies to search before they all end up being the zinc varieties. With halves, quarters, dimes and nickels, eh, not so much the silver finds, comparatively. The cool thing is I bet there are tons of rolled cents still sitting in drawers in grandparents' homes that the relatives will take right down to the banks without checking for dates,etc.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing