1946 Penny Composition?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1946 Penny Composition?

Postby Common Cents » Mon May 23, 2011 5:28 pm

I came across a penny today that seemed to be an anomaly. It was a 1946 wheat penny, but it didn't sound like copper at all. I sort by ear, and have gotten to be very good at recognizing the distinctive ring made by copper cents as opposed to non-copper ones. Well this particular '46 penny made a thud noise that was consistent with zinc or steel, but certainly not copper. I know about the steel pennies during the war, but is it possible that they experienced a copper supply pinch during '46 as well? I have never heard of them switching the composition other than the steelies. So was I imagining things, or could this penny have been made with something other than copper?

PS- Don't have a scale to weigh the coin, so can't confirm by weight.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 1946 Penny Composition?

Postby Gamecock » Mon May 23, 2011 6:47 pm

did you try a magnet?
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon May 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Send it to me or another member. I'll/We'll be more than happy to weigh it and send it back. I'll even cover the return postage. Or you can do th popsicle trick to get a close guess. Accuracy will require a scale. Everyone on this board should have one.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Mon May 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Andy of Ryedale has had some chemical composition analysis as a function of year done - results in a post somewhere. Can't recall if 46 was one of the examples. But there were small changes in composition results over the years. And I think some of post-steel blanks were made of a slightly different alloy, recycled shell-casings, etc. But that wouldn't explain what you think you hear.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby avidbrandy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Yes pennies from 1944-1946 after the war were made with recycled shell casings, but it was still copper just like they were supposed to be as far as I'm aware. I don't know of anything special during that time. If you have a sensitive scale and the size is the same as other pennies you should be able to figure out what it's made of.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 pm

it could be a trick coin if it gives a thud sound, check the rotation of the reverse compared to the obverse and check for a seam around the edges.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Common Cents » Tue May 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Will try magnet.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu May 26, 2011 2:07 am

avidbrandy wrote:Yes pennies from 1944-1946 after the war were made with recycled shell casings, but it was still copper just like they were supposed to be as far as I'm aware.

I've read that from numerous sources too. The thing that gets me is where were the casings retrieved from? From the battlefields or were they factory surplus somehow?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu May 26, 2011 2:26 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
avidbrandy wrote:Yes pennies from 1944-1946 after the war were made with recycled shell casings, but it was still copper just like they were supposed to be as far as I'm aware.

I've read that from numerous sources too. The thing that gets me is where were the casings retrieved from? From the battlefields or were they factory surplus somehow?

Doubtful they would go through the trouble of bringing them from over-seas so it was probably from training/shooting ranges on US bases and from built-up surplus. That is just a guess I haven't heard about this before today.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Common Cents » Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Well it's definitely non-ferrous because a magnet wasn't attracted to it.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing