Surprise

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Surprise

Postby marine70 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:22 pm

I live in Southern Illinois I went to a local farmers bank,sometimes they have bags of pennies. Well I called they said they had (6) bags. My first thought was having three hundred dollars to hand sort over the long weekend. Well when I got home to my surprise all six bags were duds. The town I live in is not real large so I thought I was the only one sorting.
Well it looks like I have competition, anyone else experience this delima?
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Re: Surprise

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Ouch! This is when a scale comes in really handy. There was a time a few years ago that many of us were getting bank rolled boxes of solid duds. I once picked up an entire order of 24 boxes of circulated zincs. That was kind of depressing. Fortunately I knew after the first box to test the boxes on my scale before opening. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby bman » Mon May 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I picked up a box of CW rolls once and they were all zincs but never a bag or machine wrapped box.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon May 30, 2011 11:29 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Ouch! This is when a scale comes in really handy. There was a time a few years ago that many of us were getting bank rolled boxes of solid duds. I once picked up an entire order of 24 boxes of circulated zincs. That was kind of depressing. Fortunately I knew after the first box to test the boxes on my scale before opening. :mrgreen:

Those days were the WORST... But, it actually got me into buying boxes of halves after I had gotten a bunch of zinc boxes for weeks at a time. I remember that the first box of haves that I bought had a Walker on one of the end rolls :D

The scales are a must have.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing