banks

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

banks

Postby kwebb70 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:59 am

Which banks should I avoid and which banks are the best to deal with?
Thanks!
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: banks

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 am

It might help if you tell us where you live.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 am

You should deal with the ones that give you pennies and avoid the ones that don't. Seriously, that is an impossible question to answer because each branch even within the same Bank chain is different. I have one BBT bank that refuses to give me any pennies In volume (more than $5) unless I order them because I'm not a commercial customer, yet other BBT branches are some of my best pick up branches. I don't like to order a lot at one time from any bank on a regular basis because it really calls attention to yourself. I'm fortunate to have a ton of banks to choose from so I spread it out and usually only get 2 boxes at a time. It's surprising how fast the back of my SUV fills up!

This game is all about personal interaction with the bank employees as much as anything. Be nice, be respectful, bring gifts every once in a while and don't abuse their hospitality and ANY bank can be a great one to deal with.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Mon May 30, 2011 9:28 am

I and my son who is the sorter have found it is not the bank that is the problem.Just like inflationhawk has found. If the have a bad boss then it all goes down hill. I work four day a week in the winters and we going to the banks on Monday my son Franklin has autism and he loves pennies. So on the bank day we have went to twenty branches in on day. We have found ten chase branches that are so nice and two that we would not go back in for free pennies. Also picking up pennies is like dating you have to start out slow. It also helps when Franklin asks the teller to marry him. :D Also props help the first tim Franklin found a Indian Head cent we show it of at all twenty banks we go to and said look what we got the last time. I think each teller thought they had sold us the winner. Also you might find a child to take with you and say the pennies are for them to find the winners. A this point I am liking the pennies as much as Franklin! :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby kwebb70 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:30 am

Sorry, I'm in north Alabama.
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bman » Mon May 30, 2011 7:05 pm

it's trial and error, start out slow and work your way up to larger orders. It won't take long to figure out who will work with you and who won't.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:11 pm

And give them chocolate and/or Starschmucks gift cards before they get pissy. Once they don't like you , it's really to turn 'em back.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Crescendo » Tue May 31, 2011 9:37 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:And give them chocolate and/or Starschmucks gift cards before they get pissy. Once they don't like you , it's really to turn 'em back.

Why do I feel like there is a Star Wars dark side reference in there. "Once they turn to the dark side, it is really hard to turn them back" -- unless they like dark chocolate! :)
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Tue May 31, 2011 3:00 pm

I would either start real slow, by asking for a box a few times a month.

OR

Speak to multiple banks and tell them you will open up an account if agree to order the amount of coins you want.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing