Stock up now and lock in USPS flat shipping rates "Forever"?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Stock up now and lock in USPS flat shipping rates "Forever"?

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon May 30, 2011 8:15 pm

Yep. Looks like what I thought it was:

"Building on the simplicity of flat-rate shipping and value of Forever postage, the U.S. Postal Service today announced a new way to ship that lets customers lock in future postage at current prices using select Priority Mail Flat Rate packaging."

http://www.usps.com/communications/news ... 11_047.htm

http://www.usps.com/shipping/prepaid.htm

It's always possible that the USPS could default on their "forever" promise, but it's a hedge at least...

To good to be true? Thoughts?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Stock up now and lock in USPS flat shipping rates "Forev

Postby denny » Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm

flat rate and forever postage will continue..... I am a postmaster here in colorado and confirm what you see above
give me a shout if any questions
denny
denny
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Mon May 30, 2011 9:02 pm

denny wrote:flat rate and forever postage will continue..... I am a postmaster here in colorado and confirm what you see above
give me a shout if any questions
denny

Cool! That's what I like about this community - there's all kinds of people with specialized knowledge here.

So in your opinion, is now the time to stock up on the pre-paid forever offer, or is it safe to hold off for a while? I know you don't have a crystal ball, but how long do you see these flat rates staying at their current price/volume/ maximum weight levels? If you shipped several $100FV orders in medium flat rate boxes per week and you had some extra capital, what would you do?
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Mon May 30, 2011 9:15 pm

On this subject, I was just looking and couldn't find an answer from google (only looked a couple minutes.) What were flat rate box rates when they first came out and how long ago? Trying to figure out what's the rate of price increase.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Mon May 30, 2011 9:26 pm

If there's a heavy hitter in the copper market (Adam, Chuck, Jack), I think this would be a great time to invest a few hundred dollars into the USPS system. In fact, I might do it myself. I know we all hate on the USPS, but shipping $100 worth of copper for a little over $10 ain't that bad.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Mon May 30, 2011 9:46 pm

I bet they will eliminate free boxes and make you buy all flat rate boxes with postage paid. This will eliminate misuse of the boxes.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Mon May 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Pretty neat idea actually as each box will come with its own address label already applied plus delivery confirmation is free. Going to have to order me some. :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 pm

pennypicker wrote:Pretty neat idea actually as each box will come with its own address label already applied plus delivery confirmation is free. Going to have to order me some. :D

Where did you see this info? How can the address label be pre-applied?
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Corsair » Mon May 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Market Harmony wrote:
pennypicker wrote:Pretty neat idea actually as each box will come with its own address label already applied plus delivery confirmation is free. Going to have to order me some. :D

Big Brother knows where you want to ship the coppers before you even have them sorted.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 am

Market Harmony wrote:

I went to the usps website to where you can order these forever flat rate boxes and there's a picture showing all the different sizes. On each box there is what looks to be a printed address label w/delivery confirmation on each box. Perhaps I interpreted the picture incorrectly as I was tired from a long holiday weekend.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 am

Wow this is great. Less trips to the PO for me.

Good eye.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 am

I like this except a person will have to write out the address's instead of just print them out....very time consuming and allows for human error. (usps website double checks your address before your print)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby BOHICA » Tue May 31, 2011 3:36 pm

avidbrandy wrote:On this subject, I was just looking and couldn't find an answer from google (only looked a couple minutes.) What were flat rate box rates when they first came out and how long ago? Trying to figure out what's the rate of price increase.

I remember when the flate rate envelopes were $3.25 about 15 years ago.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 am

BOHICA wrote:
avidbrandy wrote:On this subject, I was just looking and couldn't find an answer from google (only looked a couple minutes.) What were flat rate box rates when they first came out and how long ago? Trying to figure out what's the rate of price increase.

I remember when the flate rate envelopes were $3.25 about 15 years ago.

I remember the 2.90 stamps.

http://www.kenmorestamp.com/us-stamp-co ... rity/3/216
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing