Sorting in South Korea

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Sorting in South Korea

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Been a lurker here for a while.
I'm stationed in South Korea and let me tell you i get some mighty strange looks here when i ask for pennies.
All the U.S. posts in Korea round up or down so pennies are not used.

I took 6 bucks of pennies i had to the bank and the korean lady exclaimed .. where did you get ALL these pennies!

Went to another bank and requested 20 in pennies and was pretty shocked when they had them. They could not figure out why i was sorting.

They thought i was going to go to the USO for the hot dog for a penny deal. yea.. 2000 hot dogs right?

But my banker told me yesterday he had sacks of 100 loose so i got a bag and hand sorted it. Brutal..hand sorting takes forever and over here you have to reroll them to deposit them

found a 1933 d wheat in really good condition (for sale btw)
20.8% copper
various foreign coins, india, panama, old korea 1 won pieces which are not used anymore. (1070 won = 1 dollar)
barbados pennies. 14 canadian pennies.
SGT_Slaughter

Re: Sorting in South Korea

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Have you thought there may be a premium on US Zinc Pennys as a novelty item in S. Korea? ;)
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Have you tried buying any Korean coins to sort?
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:28 pm

That's funny I was just talking to my supervisor last week about no pennies in Korea, because of my coin sorting. He thinks we should just eliminate pennies like in Korea. (he was stationed there a couple years ago).

I have a question: Do you find a higher percentage of coppers there due to less circulation? Also, where do they get their coins from, and how often?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Verbane » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 pm

US coinage on overseas bases is an untapped resource, it rarely circulates back to the States. When I was stationed in Germany, I would make trips to the other bases to get coin from the Base Bank.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:02 am

The Koreans do not want pennies but they do like 2 dollar bills. They consider them lucky.

I do not know where the pennies come from. I have 2 different banks w/ 4 locations near me. One location never had any pennies. The other had 6 bucks worth and i cleaned them out.
location 3 has a lot but the copper % is horrible!, location 4 usually has very few pennies but recently they got a couple hundred dollars of bag pennies in.

I had sorted some CWR's that a soldier brought in and i got about 26% copper out of it.
sorted 20 bucks from location 2 and i only got 1% copper :(
out of 100 bucks in the bag i got 20.8% copper so not too bad but a hell of a lot of work given i have to re-roll all of it. Arg!

Its funny though, The korean teller i talk to used to be a Drill SGT in the ROK Army so told him to be on the look out for a few coins for himself and
since then hes been on the look out for pennies for me. They think its amusing.

pennies are about non existant here fyi. you never get them in change.

What would be really interesting is if we had an interactive map that showed copper %'s per city in the U.S. w/ members updating it.
SGT_Slaughter

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:04 am

avidbrandy , what post was your supervisor at?
SGT_Slaughter

Postby Cerulean » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am

psi wrote:Have you tried buying any Korean coins to sort?

There is no point in sorting South Korean coins. The only bronze coin in South Korea since the Korean War was the 10 hwan coin, demonetized in 1962. All South Korean coins in the last fifty years have been brass, copper-nickel, or a weird 50/50 copper-aluminum alloy, and none of the currently circulating coins are over melt value yet.

10 won, minted since 2006, 1.29g, 52% Al and 48% Cu by weight, melt value of USD $0.007. Face value is USD $0.009.
50 won, minted since 1972, 4.16g, 70% Cu and 18% Zn and 12% Ni by weight, melt value of USD $0.036, face value of USD $0.047.
100 won, minted since 1970, 5.42g, 75% Cu and 25% Ni by weight, melt value of USD $0.062, face value of USD $0.093.
500 won, minted since 1982, 7.7g, 75% Cu and 25% Ni by weight, melt value of USD $0.089, face value of USD $0.467.

If you can find any of the old 1970-2005 ten-won coins, they are worth holding on to. Melt value is 265% of face value.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 am

Had a case recently where someone in fact did melt down the 10 won coins which is legal
BUT they did not dispose of the waste byproduct and they went to jail for that.
SGT_Slaughter

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Cool information thanks for sharing sarge.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:24 pm

SGT_Slaughter wrote:Had a case recently where someone in fact did melt down the 10 won coins which is legal
BUT they did not dispose of the waste byproduct and they went to jail for that.
What waste would be produced?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 am

SGT_Slaughter wrote:What would be really interesting is if we had an interactive map that showed copper %'s per city in the U.S. w/ members updating it.

I would love to see this.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:15 am

SGT_Slaughter welcome to the board. If you want to trade some of the foreign coins you collected for copper pennies and other copper goodies I'll be happy to make you up a package and ship it off to you. Let me know.. Also if you want some $2 bills I can get those for you as well.
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:50 am

Link to the article about koreans melting coins.
http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View ... category=2

i only have a few foreign coins
11x canadian pennies
1x canadian 1867-1967

couple panama pennies
3x barbados pennies
infinite korean coins (LOL)
1x india penny

so most likely its not worth your shipping costs but if your in the market for infinite korean won i can ship to you at cost + shipping in a flat rate box.

i can get 2 dollar bills from my local bank. I dont think the locals will pay extra for them but they just kinda like them. Some solider told them that we think they are lucky thus they are lucky bills here.
thanks for the offer though.
SGT_Slaughter

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm

I think my supervisor was Osan Air Base for a year. He's not a penny collector though. :P
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:56 pm

I've been to Osan. Ask him if he knows where Cp Carroll is at.
SGT_Slaughter

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing