Question about storage

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Question about storage

Postby realmoneyHOARDER » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:24 am

I just have a question about storage here. Is it better to keep copper rolled or loose?
I already have $50 in rolled and put in boxes, so I was wondering where I should go.

Should I keep rolling up pennies or should I start storing them loose? If this helps, I'm hoarding till around $75-$80 FV then selling some to buy a ryedale. I don't know if I should get a Sniper or an Apprentice.

Sorry for putting so many questions in one post.

Thanks.
realmoneyHOARDER

Re: Question about storage

Postby gojomoso » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 am

realmoneyHOARDER wrote:I just have a question about storage here. Is it better to keep copper rolled or loose?
I already have $50 in rolled and put in boxes, so I was wondering where I should go.

Should I keep rolling up pennies or should I start storing them loose? If this helps, I'm hoarding till around $75-$80 FV then selling some to buy a ryedale. I don't know if I should get a Sniper or an Apprentice.

Thanks.

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6146&p=58190&hilit=storage#p58190
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:42 pm

To get top $ when you sell It might be better to separate by Years to know the copper weight in the rolls as Canadian does vary down to Zinc weight
in most current CU years 1995? 2.5 up to 3.4 grams?
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby SGT_Slaughter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 pm

"To get top $ when you sell It might be better to separate by Years "

What years would you suggesting sorting it by?

also where do you normally sell it? Here? ebay?
SGT_Slaughter

Postby TXBullion » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:06 pm

SGT_Slaughter wrote:"To get top $ when you sell It might be better to separate by Years "

What years would you suggesting sorting it by?

also where do you normally sell it? Here? ebay?

I think hes in canada and there are different compositions by year.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 pm

realmoneyHOARDER wrote:I just have a question about storage here. Is it better to keep copper rolled or loose?

Thanks.

In my opinion it is better to store and sell most of them loose. I think most buyers will want to look through the coins anyway. Also loose bags of coins seem to sell just fine on E bay. Having said that, there are a few catagories I do roll:

1910 - 1939 Wheats - There's supposed to be a higher premium on pre-1940s
1940 - 1958 Wheats
Canadian coppers - I don't separate them by copper weights yet, but I do roll the older "Young Queens" and "Kings" separately.
Almost Uncirculated (AU) - Coins with most of their shine and few if any flaws or wear.
"Copper Select" Coins from the 60s in above-average condition.
Weighed 1982 coppers - I roll them so they don't pile up.
Culls - Same reason

Whether you sell them loose or in rolls, do your best to pick out the culls to lessen the chance for a customer complaint.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:05 am

For Canadian its pre '77 then '78 to '79, '80 to '81, '82 to '96. I also seperate the young queens and kings.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing