Found a cool penny yesterday

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Found a cool penny yesterday

Postby merchoarder » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:26 pm

I was searching some CWR's when I came across an interesting find. It was a gold colored 1975 penny with the date 12-31-74 stamped above the date. Good old google says that this was the first day it was legal to own gold after the ban. Pretty cool, I didn't know that. IF I can get a picture uploaded you'll notice a large gash in the penny. I didn't think much of it until after a little research but now I can just picture someone like me gouging it to see if it was solid gold or not :? The reverse is pretty dirty so it was obviously circulated for a while. I'd guess it's worth to be about 1 cent :lol: . Just another example of why sorting is so fun, it will go in my cool finds pile. Not every day I actually learn something from sorting.
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 276 times
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Found a cool penny yesterday

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Thats cool.. I just found a Merry Xmas penny.. thought it was a state penny, but it said merry Christmas with santas sleigh on it (It is tiny)
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:06 pm

That is worth way more than 1 cent! It's 2.65 cents last time I checked!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 pm

NHsorter wrote:That is worth way more than 1 cent! It's 2.65 cents last time I checked!

Ahh, I stand corrected. You are, of course, correct. Silly of me to let that slip, thanks for pointing that out :oops:
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing