TD Bank Penny Bags - Who is getting them?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

TD Bank Penny Bags - Who is getting them?

Postby NHsorter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Who is getting penny bags from TD? I am trying to find a branch that does it. Not trying to steal someones source!! Let me explain:

I have been trying to get some local TD Banks to sell me the bags from their penny arcade and I have been getting turned down. I finally found a friendly branch manager that said she would be happy to do so, but that she had to ask her regional boss what the procedure would be that she would have to follow. I told her that I knew it was possible because I know of at least one other person that was getting bags from a TD Bank somewhere in CT. After talking to her regional manager, she called me back to ask what branch, or branches were doing this. She said that they just want to call the branch to find out what procedure they are following so that they can find out the proper way to proceed since they don't know of anyone that is doing this in my area currently. If anyone would be kind enough to tell me of a branch that is doing this so that I can hopefully be able to get a bag source of my own it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. PM me if you don't want to post this info for all to see. Thanks!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: TD Bank Penny Bags - Who is getting them?

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 pm

I wish someone could explain to me why banks have such a problem selling their $50.00 bags of pennies. I don't understand it. What is the big deal? It is $50.00 in and $50.00 out. Plus you are saving them the fee it COSTS them to send the bags to the FED.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:18 pm

I have gotten bags at TD in CT, but so far only from one branch. The way it was explained to me was they could sell me THEIR $50 bags that they run through a machine in the back room. That branch does not have a PennyArcade. Branches that have PA's don't have a need for backroom machines, and they were prohibited (by whoever is contracting to empty and service the PA's) to sell coin from the Arcades.

That's the story so far. Most branches have them around here and that excuse has been given at several locations. The branch that does sell me their bags is thrilled that I want them since it saves them a few bucks.

So, look for TD locations (on their website, Store Locator) in your State and it will tell you whether a particular branch has or doesn't have the Arcades. Ask for bags at the ones that don't. 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby goldteam » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:40 pm

another acronym

what the hell is td?
goldteam

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Name of a bank, literally. TD Bank
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby fb101 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:22 pm

I have given up on the TDs with the PAs.
fb101

Postby TXBullion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 pm

i think toronto dominion?
TXBullion

Postby scotto » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:53 pm

The TD stands for Toronto Dominion.
scotto

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:06 am

Thank you morescode! Great info. You saved me a bunch of time. I was planning on hitting A LOT more Penny Arcade branches in the coming weeks. Now I will shift my attention to branches without.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Crescendo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:18 am

NDFarmer wrote:I wish someone could explain to me why banks have such a problem selling their $50.00 bags of pennies. I don't understand it. What is the big deal? It is $50.00 in and $50.00 out. Plus you are saving them the fee it COSTS them to send the bags to the FED.

TD Bank does not give out their penny bags because they do not do maintenance checks on their machines there. What they do is send all of their bags back through their armored truck service and if an error is found in the count then they know the machine is broken Then they'd send someone out. No error, no need to fix. So if they were giving out their penny bags, they'd have to change the way they do business (at least this is what they do last time I checked). Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for them that this is the right way or cheapest way to verify the machine is working correctly. A lot of banks actually do that, including many of the ones I've seen on here that people are getting from the machine. I think that's partly why tellers give the okay but when branch managers get involved, the access sometimes gets cut off.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:55 am

Yes I have heard that excuse before. Well we can not guarantee the count is accurate. I always tell them I understand that and that if the count is off by 10 or 20 cents on a $50.00 bag I am not going to worry about it. And I don't don't run the bag through my counter before I run it through the Ryedale so I would never know anyway. Then I tell them if you can't be sure your machine is counting accurately I'm not sure I want to run my coins through it. They don't know how to respond to that.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Crescendo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 am

NDFarmer wrote:Yes I have heard that excuse before. Well we can not guarantee the count is accurate. I always tell them I understand that and that if the count is off by 10 or 20 cents on a $50.00 bag I am not going to worry about it. And I don't don't run the bag through my counter before I run it through the Ryedale so I would never know anyway. Then I tell them if you can't be sure your machine is counting accurately I'm not sure I want to run my coins through it. They don't know how to respond to that.

You make a great point! Though I must say, the view their management sees it from multiple people though, not just you. They care about you AND the people before you. If the machine is never "checked" for errors, the people before you could have their coin mis-run. If you are short 20 cents, the person before you got credited an extra 20 cents (20 cent machine error in their favor). If, however, you are over 20 cents, the person before you got debited an extra 20 cents (meaning they put $10.20 in to equal $10.00). That is where their concern is. Or if the counter is off one cent, then to equal a ten cent error in your favor, means ten people were shorted 1 cent. Which means eleven people were affected - the ten people shorted, and you the person credited. However, the bank would never know because their books would equal out. Unless someone complained, costing the bank money dealing with the complaint.

AKA -- they're just trying to avoid a possible headache. Imagine if the error went on for months like that? And every time you picked up equaled 30 other people that were mis-credited their coins. Could easily be hundreds of people falsely credited by the bank, which would be fraudulent and cause major problems down the line.

AKA -- a lot of hassle over a few pennies. but as us hoarders know, a few pennies can really add up over time!
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing