ryedale lubricants

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

ryedale lubricants

Postby gojomoso » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:33 am

Ive seen a few topics on this but no real specifics

what specific brands of lubricants work on a ryedale?
also he said to lubricate the spacer ring with White lithium grease. How often do i lubricate that and will just regular lithium grease work?
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Re: ryedale lubricants

Postby gettin copper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:38 am

I would email Andy from ryedale and buy a bottle from him. He also has a instructional video on what to grease etc. I lube mine up every other time I sort 2-3 hundo
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cfnnb » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Dri-Slide is the lubricant to get. Andy now ships his machines with little eyedrop type bottles of this product, you can buy it from many places such as amazon or http://www.ironbraid.com/driside.html One bottle will last you forever!
cfnnb
Penny Sorter Member

Postby gojomoso » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:22 pm

gettin copper wrote:I would email Andy from ryedale and buy a bottle from him. He also has a instructional video on what to grease etc. I lube mine up every other time I sort 2-3 hundo

i watched his video and i know what to lube except for one part, he said to use white lithium grease on the spacer ring
do i have to do this or will dry lube work just as well on it?

gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:34 pm

I've use Dri-Slide on ecerything, and have for years. No issues for me beyond normal wear and tear after several million coins, hehe. And yes, the Dri-Slide cans last forever. I spray a little in the lid and apply with a q-tip.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby gojomoso » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:43 pm

sweet thanks, i can skip the grease then :)

gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:50 am

It doesn't say it in the directions, but I use a little mist of silicon lubricant on the chute. It seems to help stop jams, and make the coins skip through quicker. You have to whipe the dirt off with a cloth every few hundred though.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 am

Dri-Slide only!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby ibeakc » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:51 pm

John_doe wrote:It doesn't say it in the directions, but I use a little mist of silicon lubricant on the chute. It seems to help stop jams, and make the coins skip through quicker. You have to whipe the dirt off with a cloth every few hundred though.

I tried this silicone lubricant on the chute idea. I found it to be exactly as posted here. Every few hundred pennies, 500 or so, I got to unjam it, wipe the accumulated dirt off, and lube it up again. I'm fairly new with the ryedale, only about 500,000 pennies sorted, but the silicone only went through about 2000 and won't be making a return. I'm hoping that Drislide is the same thing as the little bottle Andy sent me. It, for me, is far superior for lubricating the chute.
ibeakc

Postby zerocd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:14 am

I have a heck of a lot of hobbies and skills that require lubricants.

When the Ryedale arrived, I figured that I would already have what I needed.

Of course I tried silicone, graphite, gun slicks and greases and actually figured Rem Oil would be best.

One day many years ago I put some on the pneumatic dampener (rod and piston) on my front storm door.

To date, I have never been able to use it again as the slide lock will not hold, it slips.
(fortunately there are two and the other one is fine, and yes, some Brakeleen would take off the thin film of Rem Oil if I need to)

So after some frustrating jams from basically dirty gummy coins, fountain coins, etc and trying every thing I had, I ordered the Dri-Slide and I was just amazed.

I don't even really clean the Ryedale much now, just reapply the Dri-Slide and off I go.

It looks black and sooty, a buildup on the ryedale mechanicals, like graphite, but works fine. I apply it to the face of the slide as well.

I have the bottle with the narrow top applicator and it will outlast the Ryedale. Enough for a few machines for life.

Also great for drive chains on bikes and motorcycles, locks, and all sorts of stuff.

Great investment.

Accept no substitutes.
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:51 am

ibeakc wrote:
John_doe wrote:It doesn't say it in the directions, but I use a little mist of silicon lubricant on the chute. It seems to help stop jams, and make the coins skip through quicker. You have to whipe the dirt off with a cloth every few hundred though.

I tried this silicone lubricant on the chute idea. I found it to be exactly as posted here. Every few hundred pennies, 500 or so, I got to unjam it, wipe the accumulated dirt off, and lube it up again. I'm fairly new with the ryedale, only about 500,000 pennies sorted, but the silicone only went through about 2000 and won't be making a return. I'm hoping that Drislide is the same thing as the little bottle Andy sent me. It, for me, is far superior for lubricating the chute.

I am thinking of buying a Ryedale. Are you serious that every 500 pennies or so you have to stop production to unjam and apply Drislide? Seems inefficent.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby ibeakc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

adagirl wrote:
ibeakc wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Ryedale. Are you serious that every 500 pennies or so you have to stop production to unjam and apply Drislide? Seems inefficent.

Jamming only occurs that often for me when using SILICONE lubricant. I found it extremely inefficient. My Drislide bottle arrives today.
ibeakc

Postby adagirl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:26 am

Okay, that makes more sense to me now. I had heard so many wonderful things about the Ryedale that it surprised me about the frequency of jamming but that is only when silicone is used. I will be sure to acquire some drislide! Thanks for the information!!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby gojomoso » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 am

adagirl wrote:Okay, that makes more sense to me now. I had heard so many wonderful things about the Ryedale that it surprised me about the frequency of jamming but that is only when silicone is used. I will be sure to acquire some drislide! Thanks for the information!!

if you buy it new from ryedale you will get a small bottle of dri-slide and from what i've read on other posts it will last you quite awhile. Just watch a few of andy's videos, i think its about every $200 worth that you'll want to lube some of the parts to keep it in tip-top shape

gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:18 pm

gojomoso wrote:
adagirl wrote:Okay, that makes more sense to me now. I had heard so many wonderful things about the Ryedale that it surprised me about the frequency of jamming but that is only when silicone is used. I will be sure to acquire some drislide! Thanks for the information!!

if you buy it new from ryedale you will get a small bottle of dri-slide and from what i've read on other posts it will last you quite awhile. Just watch a few of andy's videos, i think its about every $200 worth that you'll want to lube some of the parts to keep it in tip-top shape

Excellent, thank you for the info! Every $200 worth is quite reasonable and doesn't slow things down. :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:05 pm

The white grease is referring to the little plastic ring under the hopper wheel. Dri-Slide is for the SnP. Those are the tiny metal wheels under the plate where the coins are ejected from the hopper. You want the wheel to spin freely. This allows the coin to shoot out instead of limping out. If it is not lubed with Dri-Slide the coin will come out lazy and may get stuck on the chute. The next coin will bump into it or jump it. Jam to occur quickly.
I lube mine before each use. One drop is enough.

Why use something different? I bet no one here is using Wesson oil in their car. Oil is oil right? Use the correct lubricant for the job.

Butter works good to keep your eggs from sticking to the frying pan. KY Jelly keeps things from sticking. Try swaping butter and KY.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 pm

slickeast wrote:The white grease is referring to the little plastic ring under the hopper wheel. Dri-Slide is for the SnP. Those are the tiny metal wheels under the plate where the coins are ejected from the hopper. You want the wheel to spin freely. This allows the coin to shoot out instead of limping out. If it is not lubed with Dri-Slide the coin will come out lazy and may get stuck on the chute. The next coin will bump into it or jump it. Jam to occur quickly.
I lube mine before each use. One drop is enough.

Why use something different? I bet no one here is using Wesson oil in their car. Oil is oil right? Use the correct lubricant for the job.

Butter works good to keep your eggs from sticking to the frying pan. KY Jelly keeps things from sticking. Try swaping butter and KY.

Nice. So many things to say....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:55 am

adagirl wrote:
ibeakc wrote:

Trust me, when compared against hand sorting, ryedale is the way to go.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:04 pm

bumping this because I just spent 20 minutes looking for it. ran out of lube. :(
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:17 pm

slickeast wrote:Butter works good to keep your eggs from sticking to the frying pan. KY Jelly keeps things from sticking. Try swaping butter and KY.

Well the eggs turned out horrible, Working on a toast bikini......I'll get back to you. 8-)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing