My Poor Lost Wheaties

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

My Poor Lost Wheaties

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:59 pm

So I went to another dump bank today which happened to have a machine the speed of a coinstar, so as I dumped the coins in (this took forever) I skimmed through them.

I found multiple wheats while doing this, and all of them pre-1930s. I'm horrified. Is there any way I can prevent this without hand sorting my zincs too? I currently do a zinc accept and then check the coppers with a copper accept.

Edit: Just checked my pocket. One of the wheats I saved from the coinstar was a 1911.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: My Poor Lost Wheaties

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:06 pm

I do a zinc accept then sort both the zinc accepts and zinc rejects vs a copper, separately thus if my zinc rejects have pre-1940's they will be rejected as coppers, without any zincs around to hide them. Do you do the second sort with only 2 bins or do you have zincs, zinc accepted coppers, coppers and rejected as both zinc and copper? Maybe I am not describing this correctly.
..............................................(.......Pennies.......)
...................................... /....................................\
Zinc accept....................+(Zincs)............||||................-( Non-zincs)
.............................../.............\ ........................./.................\
Copper accept +(missed coppers)|||-(PURE Zincs)||||||+(PURE coppers)||||-(pre-1940's, IH, other nice things, could be some missed zincs)

Gosh, I hope this makes sense. :)
ETA: What a cluster F I created here... Really, wtf?
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Chief wrote:What a cluster F I created here... Really, wtf?

:lol: yep
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:57 pm

I know kind of funny, but...
Zinc accept, yes or no
Copper accept zincs, yes or no, zinc rejects, yes or no.
Glad, I could make you laugh, while trying to demonstrate my point. :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:03 pm

I've tried messing with the potentiometer a bit. I don't want to go through my zincs again because there's so many. I do about 10 boxes every time I sort and it just adds a lot of time to it.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:11 pm

I always double "cross" sort to ensure the purity of my stash. Double the time, but higher purity of coppers.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby creshka46 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:19 pm

This is news to me. Is it common for pre '40 wheats to be accepted as zinc? Why is this? Are they so worn down that they are too light or something?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:21 pm

partially, but also there was a lot of variation in the medal used back then. I know the ryedale guy has something about it on his site.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:54 pm

I would say, if you are only using two bucket/containers for sorting via a Ryedale and running the zinc and non-zinc together during the double sort, pre-1940's will end up with the zincs. You almost need 4 separate containers to ensure that this does not happen, or two containers, with both emptied between sorts of zinc accepts and zinc rejects (mostly copper, few 1940's, sometimes missed zincs, and rarely IH's).
In my opinion, zinc accept then running the zincs and zinc rejects in copper accept with 4 separate containers (or 2 containers emptied for each of the 2 sorts) is the way to go.
It is almost worth it to not double sort the first sort zinc accepts. Resorting these against a copper, for me, only yields about 4 coppers per $150fv in pennies.
I'd almost rather lose 4 coppers than one pre-1940 wheat.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing