Anyone work in retail or have a business account?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Anyone work in retail or have a business account?

Postby rulesforrebels » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Just curious if any others on the board either work in retail or have a business account at the bank?

I'm new to the buying boxes used to just sort what I came across but recently started buying boxes. One lady at the bank kind of gave me a hard time the other day when I asked for two boxes.

I was even doing it while doing a large deposit. The manager quickly came over and said they would be happy to give me as many boxes as I want. I'm thinking I'm going to do most of my buyingn and dumping while doing business transactions when your bringing big money in several times a week I don't think they are going to make a big stink abuot giving or taking a few coins.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Re: Anyone work in retail or have a business account?

Postby Corsair » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:27 pm

If you can grease the wheels with large cash deposits, that always helps. But the first rule of sorting is to never, ever, ever dump pennies at the same branch where you pick them up. That will get the tellers against you very quickly. If all you need to get boxes of pennies is a little operating cash, that's great - but don't soil the relationship by dumping where you buy.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:41 pm

I think it depends mostly on the personalities of the tellers/branch manager. I've placed the largest order--$450--at a branch where I don't even have an account, but I started small (a box or two), smiled and understood when they didn't have any to spare, and jumped on the opportunity when they suggested I order ahead. My second-largest order was at a branch where I do have an account, but also dump the most zincs--twice as many as any other bank, and no raised eyebrows. Some other sorter also uses that bank and has paved the road for me by making large penny orders and dumps seem normal. (I also take chocolate truffles and Munchkins to this bank regularly.)

I think the key is to simply take the pulse of the bank. Like many businesses, a bank will reflect the personality of the leader. Heck, the two closest branches of my favorite bank are the most useless--terrible attitudes. But other branches of that same chain will order as many pennies as I'd like. Stop in at lots of banks, ask if they have a box or two of pennies they could sell you, and keep going back to the branches where you receive good vibes. Life's too short to deal with grumpy tellers. Well, except for maybe the older sourpuss at a Bank of America (where I will NEVER open an account) who resists, then "allows" me to buy a box. Heeheehee--I think I'm wearing her down. Soon I'm gonna ask for TWO boxes.

By the way, shopping carts are barely manageable with the weight of 18 boxes of pennies.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:45 pm

The bank where I get most of my pennies ($100 per week) is also my dump bank. They just order me fresh pennies and distribute the pennies I return to them. They actually like what I am doing because it saves the cashiers from having to roll the pennies. Of course my setup is different than most. I get mine in a big bag and return them rolled. Most have it the other way around.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 pm

If you can prove to the bank that you're an asset (saving them money) instead of a liability (costing them money) you'll get a lot more in terms of service.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:14 am

Yeah, I asked for two boxes last week after doing a large cash deposit, had brought in well over six figures cash that particular week and this lady gave me a look of death when I asked for two boxes of pennies.

I'm not the type to be an ass and say do you know how much money I bring in here or anything like that but the manager noticed I had my company shirt on and quickly rushed over and said they would be happy to make change or do anything I wanted. This first teller was giving me a hard time not only about my pennies but even giving me some change in singles, five and tens. All and all it was only about $800 in change she was making a big deal about.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Postby narragansett » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Some of these people act like they own the bank. I have an account in a bank in Mass. While in Rhode Island last week I visited 2 branches of this bank. In one I get what I ask for no questions asked, always. In the other one the teller asked if I had an account there & asked to see my license which she used to enter my info into the computer to verify my account. She then said that they save the boxes for their business accounts but could probably get me some CWRs. She asked if I was looking for wheat backs and I just said yes & whatever else I could find. She came back with a box. Go figure.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing