WHY?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

WHY?

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:25 pm

So I stopped by a bank today randomly and managed to get $22 in CWRs. Took them home, about 50% copper. and a 1922-D penny. However it's got this little writing on it. =( How badly does this mess up value? Is it worthless now? I've never encountered this. And I got my scanner working. :)

You can't really see from the photo but the lines above the wheats are all sharp. I'm still new at grading coins but it seems to be VF.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: WHY?

Postby bman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:29 pm

what is the writing, scratches, ink, pencil, chalk, any idea?
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:37 pm

it seems to be light scratches.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:41 pm

What a shame.

You could probably rub it out with a little steel wool and Brasso. Or maybe neverdull.

What does the writing say? My wife thinks she see's '39', and now that she's moved her double ax-handle behind away from the computer I can finish my post.

May be the vandal had a sit down with the real PTB by now.

I once sold a shield nickle that had '1869' scratched on the back. It was a VF-EF otherwise . I got 10 bucks for it.

I could just picture some little kid, who already grew up, died and his great -great grand kids have no clue he existed, scratching that coin with a pin or nail 140 years ago.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:45 pm

left of lincolns head it says OCT 25 and above the date it says what looks like "ORA" with the quotations, and it's underlined. On the back at the bottom it says 25 sideways.

This is the best condition I've seen the stalks in on any wheat I've found so far. :(
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Did a quick goggle and while I think it highly unlikely, the only thing that quickly correlated was this

http://www.jewishreview.org/arts/ORA-exhibit-at-mjcc
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm

WTF?

I can't believe what I just read in that link. A modern day idiot defaced that pretty penny?

I think the jewish community owes reparations
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 pm

It does seem like it could fit as the letters are all caps, and I don't know how often underline and quotations were used together until recently. However I can't see anyone being dumb enough to do that and then put it back in circulation.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:21 pm

not as bad as my nail hole... lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 pm

avidbrandy wrote:left of lincolns head it says OCT 25 and above the date it says what looks like "ORA" with the quotations, and it's underlined. On the back at the bottom it says 25 sideways.

This is the best condition I've seen the stalks in on any wheat I've found so far. :(

25 is the IQ of the idiot who defaced it
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby thaler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Thogey wrote:What a shame.

You could probably rub it out with a little steel wool and Brasso. Or maybe neverdull.

What does the writing say? My wife thinks she see's '39', and now that she's moved her double ax-handle behind away from the computer I can finish my post.

May be the vandal had a sit down with the real PTB by now.

I once sold a shield nickle that had '1869' scratched on the back. It was a VF-EF otherwise . I got 10 bucks for it.

I could just picture some little kid, who already grew up, died and his great -great grand kids have no clue he existed, scratching that coin with a pin or nail 140 years ago.

STEEL WOOL & BRASSO?!! :shock:
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Hey there thaler,

Don't be shocked, this is my job here at Realcent.

It was a joke and I wouldn't have wrote it if I thought avidbrandy
would have taken it seriously.

Please don't clean that coin, or any coin, (unless it's a parking lot zinc with a blob of chewing gun on it).
Thogey

Postby thaler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:51 pm

whew!!!!!!! you scared the $h!t out of me there for a minute Thogey...lol
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Thogey wrote:Hey there thaler,

Please don't clean that coin, or any coin, (unless it's a parking lot zinc with a blob of chewing gun on it).

no need to clean that zinc either. just let the ryedale take care of it. the wheel will just push it right off the penny for you. :lol:
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:24 pm

Besides being a full-time Californian hater Thogey is also good part time for laughs :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:32 am

So I went and bought some steel wool and... I don't think this was a good....oh....oh I see... :P
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:44 am

beauanderos wrote:Besides being a full-time Californian hater Thogey is also good part time for laughs :lol:

That's not fair Ray. I love Californians. I just prefer the way the look in their natural habitat which is the paradise of California.
Thogey

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Color in the picture is very brown. Most of my older coins are a more of a tan color. Does is weigh correctly - 3.11 grams?
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing