Slave Labor

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Slave Labor

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 pm

My daughter is turning 14 in August. She wants a laptop, among other things, for her birthday. I said, Help me help you. She agreed to sort an average of a box a day until her birthday. Works out to 75 boxes, by hand, of course. We'll see how long her motivation lasts.

Her older brother is starting UTSA this year. He needs a new saxophone (music major) a laptop and tuition. Help me help you....
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Slave Labor

Postby bman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

:lol:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:20 pm

:lol:

Fantastic.

Get to work you Image
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Aaahh, I have vivid memories of my father making me slave over a table sorting coins! How my back would hurt after a while. Scarred me from coins for years! But, I got over it.

He started me at 8. In 1962, he deposited $100.00 into a savings account for me and expected me to add to it on a regular basis. $100.00 was a good week's pay for the average Joe in 1962. I did add to it. Paid for five years of college with it.

It was good for me! Did I ever learn how to pinch a penny. In fact, I could pinch a nickel so hard, the buffalo would scream! :lol:

You have a real good idea there, Shinnosuke. Teach her the sound values of good money vs. bad, thrift, savings, and the joy of finding a high value coin. Just don't over do it. Keep it fun!

P.S.... How many boxes does the son have to sort??! :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 pm

When I tried to recruit a friend's 12 year old grandson, the kid looked at me like I was out of my mind. Of course, not being the parental unit of the lad I had no real leverage over him :lol:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:10 am

Hey, it's not slave labor unless you shackle the ankle to the chair leg.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:16 am

Hope they don't turn you in for this.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:09 am

shinnosuke wrote:My daughter is turning 14 in August. She wants a laptop, among other things, for her birthday. I said, Help me help you. She agreed to sort an average of a box a day until her birthday. Works out to 75 boxes, by hand, of course. We'll see how long her motivation lasts.

Her older brother is starting UTSA this year. He needs a new saxophone (music major) a laptop and tuition. Help me help you....

More power to you, dude. Good grief, when I was a kid I looked for opportunities like this. Now kids seem to expect things to be given to them, and the only way to stop this is to simply say no to freebies, and to require quid pro quo (and sometimes the "quo" is simply that you raised the, fed them, housed them, etc). You will still get some whining for awhile because they will see their friends in action, but over time they will get over it, and eventually they will thank you.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:04 am

Geez, a whole box a day? That does sound like slave labor. I think child labor laws would recommend a half a box a day or less. You're hard core bro. :)
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:37 am

Sounds like another contest coming..."how many boxes she will sort before she decides her fingers are entirely to yucky"...I will guess one! But good luck to you anyway...And shinnosuke, when is the next SA luncheon? Maybe in August?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 am

LOL. Brilliant.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 am

shinnosuke - if you want to run the contest, I'll donate a 40% half to the award pot.... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. Here's the rest of the story:
My daughter started sorting about two weeks ago. However, some friends came to visit from Japan and she got distracted. They're gone now so two days ago we had the "let's focus on the task at hand" meeting. She had already sorted 2 boxes before I started the thread here.

My son has sorted half a dozen boxes . He is working at the Six Flags park here in San Antonio to save money for college... But he and I had the talk, too. He's committed now.

So no need for a contest, but I may need a cattle prod.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:27 pm

I have had my daughter sorting since she was six...(now 14 1/2) she has a very good collection. Last night we sorted for 3 and 1/2 hours... Girls are so good to their dads!!
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby biglouddrunk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:41 pm

you guys have the right idea, but opposite. You need to get old people with good eye site to do your bidding. I have my 65 year old mother and 82 year old grandmother sorting my pennies. It gives them something to do. They have sorted probably 8K face for me. They each can sort and roll 2 boxes in one evening.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:24 pm

biglouddrunk wrote:you guys have the right idea, but opposite. You need to get old people with good eye site to do your bidding. I have my 65 year old mother and 82 year old grandmother sorting my pennies. It gives them something to do. They have sorted probably 8K face for me. They each can sort and roll 2 boxes in one evening.

I'll trade ya. My two children and a first round draft choice for your mother and grandmother.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Old people? - Good eye site?? Am I missing something...?

Heck, I'll toss in my 18 year old son and my father inlaw.... lol
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoldingAg » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Good idea, man. I tried to get my just turned 7 year old to help me sort by hand, and he told me I was a dork. He does like to look at my silver bars though, he thinks they are cool.
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Postby John_doe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:16 pm

One of my nephews "helps" me from time to time. It is more like him asking a bunch of questions and blocking my light for 5-10 minutes then asking for his "pay". I give home a roll of pennies for his collection.

Maybe he will be able to buy college books or something with his "pay".
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:14 am

Man, if I only had that kind of slave labor available.. with all my equipment.. imagine the tons I could process! You need to get some equipment, since you have the labor locked up.. then you could really build your hoard. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby biglouddrunk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 pm

I would, but not many of us know how to get 1200 face per week, how to dump 950 face in zincs or how to sell 250 per week in copper.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Im 20 and can't find a job for the summer...

Ill sort for someone in FL for a cut of the copper ;)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 am

biglouddrunk wrote:I would, but not many of us know how to get 1200 face per week, how to dump 950 face in zincs or how to sell 250 per week in copper.

*Knows how to do all these things.. in multiples* but it can be a little time consuming doing it all yourself. Hardly leaves time for posting. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby merchoarder » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:41 am

Oakair wrote:Im 20 and can't find a job for the summer...

Ill sort for someone in FL for a cut of the copper ;)

Lol, I LOVE this idea, +1 for me. I'm 30 with a full time job but I could still manage 10-20 hrs a week sorting (for a cut) :D Hoard, PM us, hahaha JK (unless you wanna fly me out to Callie :lol: )
Will work for copper :lol:
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing