Canadian cent price

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Canadian cent price

Postby biglouddrunk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:42 pm

If I were to sell my canadian cents I was wondering if it would make sense to split them by weight
53-79
80-81
82-96
The modern cents might be more valuable by weight, but worth less per face value. Or would I be better just selling them as mixed all three weights. Do young queens have any numismatic value?
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Canadian cent price

Postby Oakair » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Id save the young queens (no crown-I don't know the last year, but its before 1969) and any george's you have...

Id compare them to saving wheats, nothing really special in most cases, but i used to save the ones i came across when i lived in Toronto as a kid...Who knows what'll happen in a few decades...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby merchoarder » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:59 pm

That is exactly how I separate them. However, as they are all the same composition (98% copper by weight) there is a valid argument to just keep them all together. Right now the newer copper cents have no added numismatic value so it doesn't make a lot of sense to separate them, but I still do. The earlier coppers, young queens and especially kings, may have added numi value so you should probably pull those out. If your just selling for bullion value, it doesn't really matter and you should PM TxBullion :D
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm

CU copper is mostly traded and sold by the mixed poundage. Seperating might get you a little more but I doubt it would be worth the time.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 pm

I go '53 - '79, and '80 - '96. Why I do that, I don't remember. Must've had a good reason. :?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Morsecode wrote:I go '53 - '79, and '80 - '96. Why I do that, I don't remember. Must've had a good reason. :?

I keep anything before 1982. Up to and including 1979 the copper value is right now a bit over 300% of face ( as of today 7.07.11). The 1980 and 1981 are also near 300%, actually right now 266%. The pre-'82 Lincoln cents are 289% of face by comparison. I toss back the 1982 and later Canadian cents because, honestly, I can get Lincoln cents later on with that money that have a slight bit more copper value for the same one cent face value cost. I do separate the 1967 Dove issue cents if they are in decent shape. Otherwise they get tossed in with the bulk Canadian copper hoard. I set aside separately all Kings cents. I find it useful sometimes to run a big neodymium magnet over a box of cents to isolate the steel cents right off the bat. I am such a miser that I keep the steel Canadian cents separate and just re-roll them on occasion with the zincs and dump them at bank branches I infrequently visit.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:28 am

What are the melt laws, as far as Canadian numismatics surfacing on domestic soil?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing