weight of box

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

weight of box

Postby kwebb70 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:51 pm

how much does an unopened box of zincs weight. brinks & nf string boxes
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: weight of box

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:18 pm

The coins are 13.8 lbs. Add in a bit for paper or plastic wrappers, and cardboard.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoldingAg » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:56 pm

13.8 for the zincs huh? What about a box of all Cu? And while we're at it what about a "typical" mixed box?

Thanks,
HoldingAg
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 pm

HoldingAg wrote:13.8 for the zincs huh? What about a box of all Cu? And while we're at it what about a "typical" mixed box?

Thanks,
HoldingAg

A shade over 17 pounds (not counting the paper). 3.11 g x 2500 / 456.3 g/lb (use same equation for zincs except they weigh 2.5 g rather than 3.11 g).

Mixed is anything in between, depending on percentage. Multiply whatever you think your copper yield is by the difference (17-13.8 = 3.2) and add it to 13.8.

25% yield would be .25*3.2 = .8 added to 13.8 = 14.6 lb
50% yield would be 1.6+13.8=15.4 lb
75% yield would be 2.4+13.8=16.2 lb
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby gojomoso » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:52 pm

68Camaro wrote:
HoldingAg wrote:13.8 for the zincs huh? What about a box of all Cu? And while we're at it what about a "typical" mixed box?

Thanks,
HoldingAg

A shade over 17 pounds (not counting the paper). 3.11 g x 2500 / 456.3 g/lb (use same equation for zincs except they weigh 2.5 g rather than 3.11 g).

Mixed is anything in between, depending on percentage. Multiply whatever you think your copper yield is by the difference (17-13.8 = 3.2) and add it to 13.8.

25% yield would be .25*3.2 = .8 added to 13.8 = 14.6 lb
50% yield would be 1.6+13.8=15.4 lb
75% yield would be 2.4+13.8=16.2 lb

thanks for the info, that'll be handy with my new scale :)
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Depending on how accurate you want to be, if you want more precision, weigh 50 wrappers and a box by themselves, next time you get to an empty set. Add that weight to the above.

If you're concerned about wasting your time unwrapping an all zinc box, you can get a good idea of whether this is worth your while by weighing the whole box before you start. Also gives a good estimate of what your yield will be, if there is copper there.
68Camaro

Postby ed_vantage17 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 pm

I weigh my boxes (String) before opening for sorting. Right now they're coming in within an ounce or two of 15Lbs. and netting around 28% Cu.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:05 am

ed_vantage17 wrote:I weigh my boxes (String) before opening for sorting. Right now they're coming in within an ounce or two of 15Lbs. and netting around 28% Cu.

Matches. 28% is just under 14.7 lbs per the formula above. Add in two-tenths for paper and you'd be at 14.9 lbs.
68Camaro

Postby gilpo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Would you guys mind sharing the make and model of the scales you guys are using?
gilpo

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:19 pm

gilpo wrote:Would you guys mind sharing the make and model of the scales you guys are using?

I have a WeighMax Digital Postal Scale. Weighs in 2/10 oz increments with a max of 75 Lbs. Got it on eBay.

LINKY
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am

I forget the brand scale I use.. but it is very high end and accurate to 2 hundredths of a pound. I have rolled both solid boxes of zinc and solid boxes of copper cents. With paper and standard box the zinc box weighs 14.1 pounds and the copper box weighs 17.3 pounds. I imagine the plastic in a brinks box would be close to the weight of the paper so would expect the weights to be pretty close. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing