teller told me a story about cdn

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

teller told me a story about cdn

Postby cwgii » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:43 am

the other day when i was picking up coin. she made the comment that they had 'thrown away' a bunch of coins that morning.

as they are not allowed to give out candian coins, they thrown them in the garbage....
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: teller told me a story about cdn

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 am

Yepper....same thing here....so I asked her since she can't give me the coins....could I have the garbage then? Got a goofy grin from that question....then she said NO!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby theo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Yepper....same thing here....so I asked her since she can't give me the coins....could I have the garbage then? Got a goofy grin from that question....then she said NO!

Actually, I don't ask. There have been a few occasions when I've seen Canadian coins in the bank garbage and if I think I can get them w/o cause too much of a stir; then I snatch them up with the deftness of a shoplifter. ;) Afterall I can't allow such obvious disrespect for our friends to the North to go unchallenged.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:23 am

If there is any copper in those garbage cans, I will pay 3 dollars per pound for that garbage!
TXBullion

Postby Chief » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:54 pm

TXBullion wrote:If there is any copper in those garbage cans, I will pay 3 dollars per pound for that garbage!

That's funny right there. :lol: :lol:
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 pm

I've scored a bunch of Loonies and quarters once but I was talking about the garbage behind the teller counter. I always check the can by the customer coin machine in the lobby.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby mtalbot_ca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:54 pm

It is certainly not the case here in Canada. At the bank, they will make an effort not to give you american pennies when you cash your check, but certainly do not care if it happens, or if you get them in rolls. I even got three solids rolls of US pennies once. Most rolls I get have between 3-7 US pennies in them.

In fact the oldest penny I have is US (1911) and my oldest nickel is a dateless buffalo.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Wow. What a country. We throw away food... money... building materials... babies... you name it... and you can find it in a dumpster somewhere in the US. I found a comic book collection valued at $1K in a dumpster once. I have 2 computers I got from a dumpster...
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 pm

The tellers at my best pick up branch have given me the foreign coins that had accumulated on a tray on their behind the counter coin machine...no silver,just some low denom euros,a couple canadian pennies and dime,and a couple mexican coins.they said they would save them for me now.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Same here, they toss 'em. The nicer tellers will save a few to give me on the sly, but I tell them it's not worth losing your job over. I have seen where the male tellers just pocket them for themselves. I have one dump branch I hardly ever use anymore cause the guy in charge of the vault keeps anything and everything that comes out of the machine.

I bought 26 loonies tonight from a kid on craigslist for 20 bucks, so it's not just the banks that don't want them :?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby didou » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:52 pm

I can't believe you trow money away. Literally.

I get about 1 U.S. copper penny for every 50 Canadian penny i search here in Canada. More if you count the zinc but i don't keep stats on the penny i reject. No one care about U.S. penny here you can turn full roll of them at any bank/store and they accept them without looking. Even Coinstar machine accept them and count them as Canadian penny, it's even written on it.

Same as mtalbot_ca, my oldest penny found in circulation is a 1909 U.S. (We can't find Canadian penny older than 1920 since they chance the size of the penny at that date)
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby merchoarder » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 pm

What!!! That is absolutely ridiculous! What a stupid thing to do. That really blows my mind, kinda pis**s me off. What a waste...
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 pm

You have to wonder these banks are more than willing to fee you to death, yet don't even bother attempting to sell coins like this.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:04 am

It is because it is cheaper for them to throw them away. Those bank processing fees are expensive ya know. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Robarons » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:20 am

Went to a bank once to cash a check and she noticed she gave me a Cdn quarter.
She said Oops and quickly threw away the quarter in the trash and replaced it with an American Quarter.
I guess the Fact that it had Ohio on that back makes it more valuable :lol:
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 pm

TXBullion wrote:If there is any copper in those garbage cans, I will pay 3 dollars per pound for that garbage!

$3 a pound for the entire garbage? ;)
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:37 am

cwgii wrote:the other day when i was picking up coin. she made the comment that they had 'thrown away' a bunch of coins that morning.

as they are not allowed to give out candian coins, they thrown them in the garbage....

They do that here too. :|

I asked them to save all foreign coins and I would buy them, but they said they can't sell them. The irony being that that same bank started marking premiums on penny boxes they were selling to me. I'm not sure if that is even legal? Selling money?!?!
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:02 am

They usually toss them here as well, but they give them to me. For free of course.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing