CDN Pegs Value of Many BU Memorials Below $1 Per Roll

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

CDN Pegs Value of Many BU Memorials Below $1 Per Roll

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:08 am

From the July 1, 2011 Coin Dealer Newsletter

Some weeks I don't have a lot of extra time to thoroughly digest the CDN when it arrives. It may be an extra week before I can completely delve into current pricing and trends.

I was surprised (no, really shocked) to see that some of the uncirculated rolls of Cu Memorials have a value less than one buck. In some cases, actually, as low as $0.65 per roll. Have I been asleep at the switch doing a Rip Van Winkle thing or has this just happened?

Regardless, having something assigned a certain value doesn't mean that someone (or anyone for that matter) is willing to sell at that price or even at a modest profit. For rolls at $0.65, what's the dealer buy price from Joe or Josephine SixPack who walks into their store with a shoe box full of them? Face value? Less than face value?

From this CDN, here's the BID price listed by date and price (1959-81) for full BU rolls shown at under $1.00 each:

1959P 0.95
1960P 0.90
1961P 0.90
1961D 0.65
1963P 0.70
1964P 0.70
1964D 0.65
1968S 0.90
1970P 0.90
1973P 0.90
1974P 0.70
1981D 0.85

Of equal or greater shock value is the BID pricing for the zinc issues of 1982 and beyond. Excepting the 2009 Lincoln commem issues, everything else is above (or greatly above) the $1 per roll mark. Do people really collect these? Amazing. Some of the highly valued BU non-proof issues are $21.00 per roll for 1986D and $13.25 for 1991D. What am I missing here?

For their Cu content and collectibility (IMHO), I'd like to back up my van and fill it with BU rolls. These certainly are strange times, amigos.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: CDN Pegs Value of Many BU Memorials Below $1 Per Roll

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Of equal or greater shock value is the BID pricing for the zinc issues of 1982 and beyond. Excepting the 2009 Lincoln commem issues, everything else is above (or greatly above) the $1 per roll mark. Do people really collect these? Amazing. Some of the highly valued BU non-proof issues are $21.00 per roll for 1986D and $13.25 for 1991D. What am I missing here?

that is because the zinc detiorates so quickly that it is hard to find quality coins. I do agree that it is stupid to have posted values for the coppers below melt. Sure, it is illegal to melt, but if silver was illegal to melt, would you sell a BU roll of silver dimes for $10?
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Re: CDN Pegs Value of Many BU Memorials Below $1 Per Roll

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Since posting, I discussed this with my coin dealer friend. He said he doesn't actively purchase what he calls "low end" rolls due to the storage factor. Then there's the postage factor, too. Is it even worth it to pack a flat rate box full of rolls and mail it off?

Personally, I think these are crazy prices. I'd seriously buy a large quantity of those coppers and wait for a couple of years. With the heated discussion about the national debt crisis, I expect the cent and likely the nickel to part of the "solution." This could mean a change in composition to a Canada-like steel combo or sacrificing the cent entirely.

People would be disturbed if the cent was abolished completely, so the angle would be to suspend production for the next year as a cost-saving measure. Joe and Josephine SixPack would be encouraged to clean out their coffee cans full of change and re-circulate their coins. Actually, I think that'd be better for us as the percentage of copper available for the duration should increase. Banks may be under orders to do their part, though, by limiting access to the affected coins by the public.

No doubt these are going to be interesting times.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing