New Use for Copper?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

New Use for Copper?

Postby adagirl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:42 pm

(NaturalNews) A new study presented at the World Health Organization's (WHO) 1st International Conference on Prevention and Infection Control (ICPIC) in Geneva, Switzerland, has revealed that the use of antimicrobial copper surfaces in hospitals helps reduce the rate of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) by 40 percent. The metal also effectively kills 97 percent of bacteria, as well as many viral and fungal pathogens.

Conducted at three intensive care units (ICUs) in the US, the study found that when conventional surfaces were replaced with copper surfaces, patient HAI rates dropped by 40.4 percent. And direct tests involving deadly pathogens and copper surfaces revealed that the antimicrobial metal quickly and effectively kills the vast majority of pathogens it comes into contact with, including many pathogens that have developed resistance to antibiotics and other drug interventions.

"Copper's rapid destruction of pathogens could prevent mutational resistance developing and also help reduce the spread of antibiotic resistance genes to receptive and potentially more virulent organisms, as well as genes responsible for virulence," said Prof. Bill Keevil, head of the Microbiology Group and director of the Environmental Healthcare Unit at the University of Southampton in the UK.

"Additionally, copper touch surfaces could have a key role in preventing the transmission of healthcare-associated infections. Extensive laboratory tests have demonstrated copper's antimicrobial efficacy against key organisms responsible for these infections, and clinical trials around the world are now reporting on its efficacy in busy, real-world environments."

The findings support previous ones involving antimicrobial silver, which is also known to have powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal capabilities. In 2008, a company actually developed antimicrobial silver hospital pajamas for patients concerned about contracting deadly hospital superbugs like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (http://www.naturalnews.com/023879_s...).

"Bacteria present on ICU room surfaces are probably responsible for 35 to 80 percent of patient infections, demonstrating how critical it is to keep hospitals clean," said Dr. Michael Schmidt, professor and vice chairman of Microbiology and Immunology at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), one of the three hospitals involved in the trial.

"The copper objects used in the clinical trial supplemented cleaning protocols, lowered microbial levels, and resulted in a statistically significant reduction in the number of infections contracted by patients treated in those rooms."

Sources for this story include:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033008_coppe ... z1SVGjS5sN
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Re: New Use for Copper?

Postby merchoarder » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Does this mean I don't have to wash my hands after sorting? :lol: Interesting article, thanks!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:23 pm

merchoarder wrote:Does this mean I don't have to wash my hands after sorting? :lol: Interesting article, thanks!

:lol: :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm

merchoarder wrote:Does this mean I don't have to wash my hands after sorting? :lol: Interesting article, thanks!

Dirty fingers is going to get excited when he reads this
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 pm

So I am now vindicated at my house. i have said that the copper keeps me from getting sick. The most recent round was my two sons and wife were coughing and sneezin...No sickness for me....In fact haven't been sick since starting with the Cu. :D
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am

It's my understanding that silver has the same properties as well. So it's great to mess around with silver or copper coins I guess, but that new nasty clad junk is harboring all sorts of germs. No only have they debased the coins, but they are killing us with them too! :D
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 am

great article! I just read about this use this morning as well:

http://www.sigmawater.com/news2.html

Green Home 21 Pool
Chemical-Free Sanitation

The system, called electrolytic ionization, cleans the pool by releasing silver and copper ions into the water by means of electrolysis which kill bacteria and algae.

(Water Conditioning & Purification Magazine, May, 1995 by Virginie Drujon-Kippelen)

The Herders, a Tucson-based brother/sister builders team, like to think of their prototype, Green Home 21, as the home of the future, "a blend of a healthful, smart and environmental home."

Indeed, the 4,400 square-foot home features a varied array of automation management, energy-efficient construction methods, healthy materials like non-carcinogenic wall insulation (newspapers) and non-toxic carpeting made from recycled materials (plastic soda pop containers).

As another environmental smart option, the builders have chosen a chemical-free system to sanitize the 10'x15' pool.

The system, called electrolytic ionization, cleans the pool by releasing silver and copper ions into the water by means of electrolysis which kill bacteria and algae. By reducing the need for pool chemicals, the system is recommended as an environmentally sound alternative to chlorination.

In the case of Green Home 21, the ionization system allows the back flush pool water to be used in the greywater recycling system. Ionizer manufacturers claim the system eliminates the side effects of chlorine, such as eye and skin irritation or allergy.

According to Tom Colosimo, president of the Phoenix-based ionic water purification company who maintains the pool water system for Green Home 21, "bathing in water that has been purified through an electrolytic ionizer is like bathing in bottled water. It has no taste and no odor."

Ancient Civilizations Used Sanitation Methods

Copper and silver have a complementary action on water sanitation. On one hand, silver purifies water by killing bacteria (it is also known to be an effective disinfectant in the eyes of newborn children and is used for the treatment of burns as an antibacterial agent). On the other hand, copper is a strong algaecide which kills fungus.

The benefits of copper and silver have long been known. "Greek historians wrote that Cyrus the Great, King of Persia, carried water in silver flagons on his various military expeditions to keep the water fresh," wrote John D. Collins, from Ionics, Inc., a water conditioning equipment manufacturer and bacteriostatic softener, in a February 1994 WC&P article. More recently, in this country, settlers moving across the American West would place silver dollars and copper coins in their water to purify it. The movement of the wagons would cause the coins and dollars to rub the bottom of the casks where the water was stored, causing the release of ions.

With the advent of electricity, ionization is now created through the process called electrolysis, the passage of electric current between two electrodes. A copper and silver ion generator releases controlled quantities of copper and silver ions into the water from two copper electrodes impregnated with silver. The electric current causes the migration to charged ions to the positive and negative electrodes. In the water, those charged particles alter the electrostatic nature of bacteria and algae, causing them to floc together. They are ultimately removed by the filter.

Pros and Cons

An often-cited advantage of using copper and silver ions to sanitize water is that, unlike chlorine which evaporates from the water, they remain in the solution until they have been effective. Ionizer manufacturers also point out that ionization minimizes the use of acid to maintain pH balance, because of the chemical-free environment created by the method.

However, Elissa Sard Pollack in a June 1994 Aqua article said that "as with any water treatment system, ionization can cause problems if it's misused. Water balance factors - pH, alkalinity, hardness - must be maintained, and the pool should be kept free of debris." She also pointed out that the most common problem associated with ionization is staining, usually on plaster pools.

The stain is a blue-green color caused by extreme water balance problems and/or extreme over ionization.

Ultimately, copper and silver ions are ineffective for removing organic matters such as hair, skin, body oil, lotion, urine, food and makeup. The process of chemically eliminating organic matters is called oxidation. Copper and silver ions act only as sanitizers; they eliminate microorganisms (microscopic-sized celled animals), but do not act as oxidizers. This is why chlorine or other disinfectants are often needed to complete the cycle of disinfection (using ozone gas generated can also be used as an effective oxidizing and disinfectant process to destroy organic contaminants and kill bacteria as well as viruses).

A Bright Future

Although ionizers have been on the market for more than 20 years, most people who enjoy residential swimming pools use chlorine as a disinfectant, said Mr. Colosimo. He said this was largely due to a lack of publicity by the ionizer manufacturers.

"We didn't take the time to advertise our products. People just don't know that our systems exist and work," he said. Moreover, he added that ionization systems require less maintenance work and pay for themselves in two to four years.

From a marketing standpoint, this could mean that ionizer manufacturers have a bright future ahead with a burgeoning market ready to explorer.

References

Elissa Sard Pollack, "An Ion Acquisition,"
Aqua, June 1994.
John D. Collins, Silver’s Role In Water Treatment," WC&P February 1992.
Wayne,J Ivisich, "Using Chlorine to Treat Pools & Spas," WC&P June 1994.
Alden Coke, President of Aqua Flo Inc.
Virginie Drujon-Kippelen is a freelance journalist from France.
She holds a master's degree in journalism.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hirbonzig » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:03 pm

fasteddy wrote:So I am now vindicated at my house. i have said that the copper keeps me from getting sick. The most recent round was my two sons and wife were coughing and sneezin...No sickness for me....In fact haven't been sick since starting with the Cu. :D

Same for me. I have not been sick for a couple years, while the wife and kids have gone thru some nasty colds & flu bugs.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:44 pm

There is a reason why many medical facilities use brass doorknobs and latches.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm

fasteddy wrote:So I am now vindicated at my house. i have said that the copper keeps me from getting sick. The most recent round was my two sons and wife were coughing and sneezin...No sickness for me....In fact haven't been sick since starting with the Cu. :D

Now in addition to the research, we have empirical evidence from an RC'er that copper is king at fighting germs! :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing