Pennies polluted with dimes

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Pennies polluted with dimes

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 pm

I feel like I'm on "What would you Do?" I know I'm an honest person and I have told the bank 3 times but today the vault manager (3rd time) told me there is nothing they can do about it. Yes, I'm making a good little profit off of my pennies with dimes. I did 4 bags last night and pulled out $20.10 in dimes, 1 dollar and 1 nickle. I have 6 more bags that have poka-dots of dimes... I mean, I know the bank isn't making the profit and it was the customers loss but, I just feel bad... and at the same time I don't want to give up the bags of pennies which is about 6-10 a week.

..... aaahhhh! ... I hate being torn.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Pennies polluted with dimes

Postby hobo finds » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Oakair » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Ill trade you my boxes polluted with zinc?

:)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Send them to me. You'll feel better, I promise 8-)

Think of it as finding a quarter on the sidewalk. If you don't claim it someone equally undeserving will.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Verbane » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:50 pm

aev wrote:I feel like I'm on "What would you Do?".... I know the bank isn't making the profit and it was the customers loss but, I just feel bad... and at the same time I don't want to give up the bags of pennies which is about 6-10 a week.

..... aaahhhh! ... I hate being torn.

Honesty is a virtue. You have done your part by informing the bank. Donate the "unexpected gains" to a worthy charity/scholarship. Keep it local.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 am

What would you expect the bank to do about this? I can't see them wasting manpower to sort bags of pennies even for $20 of dimes in a bag. Consider yourself lucky and hope for $30 next time. Donating the extra cash is a good idea.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:27 am

That's crazy. I thought I had an unusual box this past week when I pulled out 10 or 12.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 am

Copper Catcher

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 am

LOL. The whole idea of sorting is to find the more valuable coins. Be it the copper penny, the dime, or the 2 1/2 dollar gold piece.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am

I think you should have a contest to guess "how many dimes did I find in a $50 bag of pennies"..not an original contest but it will be fun...I keep all my dimes in a poly bottle...its getting kinda full again....Once a year I donate them to the local Avon Breast Cancer Walk. :D
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 am

I'm gonna stop by a few more banks this week to try to get a bag source. I'll find a dime every once in a while in boxes, but it's pretty rare. Good for you for telling the bank about it, but I don't think many banks care at all. Not worth their time. I like verbanes idea. I am always thrilled when I find dimes in with pennies. I get way more excited than I probably should. I am in no way rich, but honestly a 9 cent gain is really not much of anything. I really don't need the dime, so rolling them over into a charity (salvation army dump, or go to walmart with my kids and toss them in the cool whirly funnel) would be like buying even more happiness on top of that excitement of the find. But if I am ever lucky enough to find another Indian Head or a silver dime, I'm gonna just be greedy and keep it!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:44 am

When you buy the bag....you take the chance that it might be off...either to the banks favor or your favor. You can post after post of the various things that pop up in bags. You're just ahead of the game because of all of those dimes. But I do feel it's right to tell the bank that they need to calibrate or do some trouble-shooting on their machine on why so many dimes are being counted as pennies.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 am

Well if you really want to make it stop than ask her what kind of sorting equipment she is using. My guess would be its a cummins jetsort. If so tell her she needs to replace the head on it because thats a very common reason for dimes to go into the pennies.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby knibloe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 am

This is one of the reasons that I do not sort a lot of dimes. The last bag I sorted, I hand rolled to turn back in, because too many were showing up as pennies in the coin counter that I normally dump at.

P.S. Unfortunately, this bank won't let me buy the bags. I would be all over it if I could.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 am

Ran five boxes this weekend...7 cents short but had 9 clad dimes...
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:21 pm

I get so many dimes in my bags. Silver ones as well. I do not feel bad when I get them. I feel good, hehe. I don't see the problem. The bank is not out anything. Just the poor guy returning loose dimes. I NEVER return dimes loose. Roll 'em up!

My bags have been short enough times that I consider it a wash when I get dimes. I've actually saved every dime I've ever found in my bags. Quite a large pile.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:37 pm

So the 2 bags last night puked up $6.00+ and the 2 bags today $15.00+. I'm now at $105.00+ in the last month.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Let me express my sympathy..... :mrgreen:
fb101

Postby slvrbck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:47 am

I know what you mean about feeling bad for getting something for nothing. . . the last few sorted boxes had like 30% of these nice 95% copper pennies in them. I tried telling the bank but they just looked at me weird.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby psi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:05 am

Not much the bank can really do aside from buying a better coin counter (yeah right) or putting up a sign that dimes are sometimes counted as pennies. As a customer returning coins I consider it a pretty serious issue if a bank of all places is not counting my money accurately, but it happens. Just dump a lot of dimes there yourself and most of the ones you get in the penny bags will have been yours anyway. :p
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Well sad to say I dropped by the bank today to grab a bag of nickels and the cummins had an out of order sign in it. :(
It was great while it lasted...
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm

aev wrote:Well sad to say I dropped by the bank today to grab a bag of nickels and the cummins had an out of order sign in it. :(
It was great while it lasted...

Why are you sad? You are the one that reported the machine having issues. You made your bed....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing