REALCENT's finest

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

REALCENT's finest

Postby njoElec » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 pm

So after MONTHS of lurking these forums, I finally gave in and joined.

I always enjoy the insights from Country, shinnosuke, idaho copper,rodebaugh, thogey, agressive metal, neilgin1 to name a few.

I did my share of halve searching, only to find myself giving up due to the lack of finds I got. Did score some 40%ers in halves though, but not many. I searched 5k worth this year. I've mostly stuck to the copper pennies and nickels - got my safe weighed down with these.

so my question is this - how soon would anyone think that nickels will trade as 90% silver coins do?
Instead of keeping my money in the bank, I have it saved in hard heavy metal baby!!!!

I'm definitely looking forward to contributing to this forum!!!!
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Re: REALCENT's finest

Postby brandon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 pm

i dont think it will be for a good while not until they change the composition and the current type vanish from circulation i would guess ten years
brandon

Postby Thogey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Bully!

Welcome njoElec ,

Save a few nickels! There is no downside, but the opportunity cost, and you have a built in stop-loss.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 am

Wow, I'm not at all sure how I made your list, but I am glad you finally decided to join Dad, I mean, friend. Your first post shows how dedicated you are to this little hobby of ours. Hope you will share your successes and roadblocks. We enjoy keepin' it real here.

Nickels? Ask again in 6 months. It's hard for any of us to guess at this point.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 am

I am also giving up on halves and sticking with nickels and copper. I think that there is someone at Loomis/Brinks pulling all the silver halves. But I still always ask for CWR halves. Found some silver that way. I also regularly scan Craigslist for discounted silver. Welcome.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:51 am

Welcome aboard. You have picked a solid forum to become a member off.

As for your question. It's the million dollar question...... literally. With the abolishment of the melt ban millions will be made by scrapers.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 am

Nickels....not for a long time! 5+ years at least. Copper pennies will trade a lot sooner than nickels will.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 am

The treasury had a "request for comment" on any problems with coinage changes this last March. I look for new composition by the end of 2012.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am

you guys are confusing a change in metal content with phasing out the denomination.

change in metal content will be here soon enough.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:you guys are confusing a change in metal content with phasing out the denomination.

change in metal content will be here soon enough.

The penny will most likely be eliminated right after Canada does it and the composition of the nickel and maybe all other coinage will change as well.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby njoElec » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:41 pm

NH Sorter -
Would not be one bit surprised if someone at those facilities are picking out the silvers!!! I searched 5k worth and only found 18 40%ers and 1 64' Kennedy. For a short time, I at least was able to pay face value for junk silver instead of money I needed to live off while I was in school last semester.

Working a lot this summer and I hope to acquire more for my hoard/collection.

What about hoarding copper pipes and sheets? ;) Nah, I think I'll just stick with pennies for now!
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby palmvtree » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 pm

If we all start pulling even more Nickels out of circulation, it will only be a matter of time until a natural demand is created. Somewhere along the way I read that there is only about $4 to 5 of (200) nickels in circulation per person in the US. If less and less nickels are available and they need to mint more for "demand" and the price of nickel is high enough, there will be a premium faster than we all think to possibly double by the end of the year. You can see on this post alone more people transitioning from silver halves to nickels and coppers because it is easier and less work (at least with nickels)... so more and more of these coins will start to disappear from circulation faster. As this all happens and you add this to our current economic conditions, upcoming inflation fears, metals on a tear in the markets, industrial demand countrywide and internationally, and everthing else, it is only a matter of time until something breaks.
I calculate 52,649,367,017 Jefferson Nickels ($2.6 Billion) were ever minted YTD, assume that 20% are currently in circulation today in cash registers, couches, piggy banks, etc. across the country (about $500 million). Lets assume that there are say 1000 people with hoards on average at say $5000 , there would only be less than a roll of nickels left for everyone else each. Keep stacking boyz! At 40% silver levels would be amazing...$0.58151 for each nickel would be insane
palmvtree

Postby exbingoaddict » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:44 am

You guys keep taking those nickles and leave the copper cents out there for me. ;)
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:44 am

the question about the end of pennies and nickels comes up from time to time and i have given it a lot of thought. ending the penny is an idea that has been around in the u.s. for decades.

the govt won't end the penny becuase it signals inflation and even causes a small amount of inflation as prices are rounded up. the govt will take the easy route, which is the status quo. they'll make that cheaper by changing the metal content. it used to take an act of congress to change the metal content but that power was delegated to the u.s. mint last year. so the first step is to make cheaper pennies and nickels. the last step is to eliminate them. the first step might happen for 2012. doubtful the penny or nickel is eliminated any time soon. already merchants don't bother to charge you if its less than 5 pennies, so we'll soon be at teh point where no one complains when they eliminate the penny.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing