Error /Oddity Coins

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Error /Oddity Coins

Postby rsk1963 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:01 am

I would like this thread to be an informative thread on errors that we find. Complete with photo's of the coin in question, considering the weird pennies I've been finding lately, and the questions that have been associated with them, I feel that this would be an excellent way for others to also learn what is what.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: Error /Oddity Coins

Postby rsk1963 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:40 am

Die Chip - A small fragment broken off from a die; metal flowing into the resulting hole during striking results in a small raised lump on the surface of the coin.

In this instance you can see 2 regions on the wheat that are disfigured as such.

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: Error /Oddity Coins

Postby rsk1963 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Reversed coin - A blank planchet that has been altered with a vise to create a negative image instead of the positive. This is not an error coin, but rather manipulation by a person.

Note the example below.

rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing