Call to the Lurkers.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Call to the Lurkers.

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 pm

I originally found the forum while doing a google search to prove that it was legal to melt copper pennies.. back when it was. I was working a 2 ton deal with my metals broker at #2 copper price, but he wanted me to prove that it was legal to melt them. Unfortunately, the federal stuff has only been scanned and posted back 10 years, so it didn't go back far enough for me to print the actual proof. When they passed the melt ban he said "I guess you were right all along, but we can't do it now." So that's when I became one of the first sellers of copper cents on eBay.. back when fees were almost reasonable.

I remember there was some guy named Andy who claimed to have developed a machine that could actually sort the copper from the zinc. Yeah, right! What kind of scam was this? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:59 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I originally found the forum while doing a google search to prove that it was legal to melt copper pennies.. back when it was. I was working a 2 ton deal with my metals broker at #2 copper price, but he wanted me to prove that it was legal to melt them. Unfortunately, the federal stuff has only been scanned and posted back 10 years, so it didn't go back far enough for me to print the actual proof. When they passed the melt ban he said "I guess you were right all along, but we can't do it now." So that's when I became one of the first sellers of copper cents on eBay.. back when fees were almost reasonable.

I remember there was some guy named Andy who claimed to have developed a machine that could actually sort the copper from the zinc. Yeah, right! What kind of scam was this? :mrgreen:

Now thats a good pennie story. :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby anarchir » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:03 pm

I too read the old forum for awhile before I realized that there was a new one, then I came here and joined.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby njoElec » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:30 pm

I had been lurking around since January and then I finally gave in ;)
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Crescendo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:03 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I originally found the forum while doing a google search to prove that it was legal to melt copper pennies.. back when it was. I was working a 2 ton deal with my metals broker at #2 copper price, but he wanted me to prove that it was legal to melt them. Unfortunately, the federal stuff has only been scanned and posted back 10 years, so it didn't go back far enough for me to print the actual proof. When they passed the melt ban he said "I guess you were right all along, but we can't do it now." So that's when I became one of the first sellers of copper cents on eBay.. back when fees were almost reasonable.

Ahh, ebay fees. They just seem to get more and more ridiculous. It isn't like they can pretend they raise the fees to keep up with inflation. I mean they charge a percentage on value sold. And the value sold increases with inflation. The only excuse to raise price is greed.
Crescendo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:31 pm

I lurked for a little bit at first, but then I saw the light. For those of you with few posts and think you have nothing to contribute because you are a beginner, look at me, 4000+ posts later and I've contributed little or nothing of value.

Post away!!!!

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing