Helping yourself to..

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Helping yourself to..

Postby njoElec » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 pm

I want to ask all of you this question, as I'm trying not to laugh, I am hopeful I will get some good responses.

Do you ever find yourself trading pennies whenever you see a change bowl anywhere you happen to find one?

the other day at work, I went through the clients copper pennies and swapped them for zincs! lol I didn't steal anything, but I felt great getting the coppers saved from circulation! :D

I also tend to do this when I'm riding in other people's cars.....I think I have an obsession :mrgreen:

I'm also tempted to do this at gas stations too....lol
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Helping yourself to..

Postby Chief » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Copper is copper. I always have a look in the give a penny, take a penny tray. You won't get a buckets of coppers doing this, but every cent counts.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Why bother trading? Whenever I see a take a penny/leave a penny tray, and I'm (or my parents) are buying something from the store, I help myself to any coppers that I can see.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:14 pm

Corsair wrote:Why bother trading? Whenever I see a take a penny/leave a penny tray, and I'm (or my parents) are buying something from the store, I help myself to any coppers that I can see.

Taking your folks copper.............. :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
Corsair wrote:Why bother trading? Whenever I see a take a penny/leave a penny tray, and I'm (or my parents) are buying something from the store, I help myself to any coppers that I can see.

Taking your folks copper.............. :lol:

I've got them trained. I'll come home and there will often be a few 1982 and before pennies sitting on the table. Just gotta keep milkin' it.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:27 pm

I even eye the plastic donation containers, hoping to spot silver. I haven't quite figured out what I'd say yet, if that ever happens, to persuade the worker to shake the box and jiggle the silver out, so that I could replace it with clad :o
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Oakair » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:30 pm

beauanderos wrote:I even eye the plastic donation containers, hoping to spot silver. I haven't quite figured out what I'd say yet, if that ever happens, to persuade the worker to shake the box and jiggle the silver out, so that I could replace it with clad :o

"I'll kindly exchange the contents of that box into cold hard cash for you, to save you the hassle..." ;)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:44 pm

I still take all the coppers. But, I've been noticing fewer and fewer take-a-penny trays....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby CasualPenny » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:07 pm

I trade them out. Not many of those trays around either anymore.
CasualPenny

Postby tinhorn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 pm

I find myself picking up pennies on the ground, too. For years I simply considered them litter, and wouldn't strain my back for 'em.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:17 pm

beauanderos wrote:I even eye the plastic donation containers, hoping to spot silver. I haven't quite figured out what I'd say yet, if that ever happens, to persuade the worker to shake the box and jiggle the silver out, so that I could replace it with clad :o

The worst case that I have ever seen in a donation jug was the buffalo nickel in the McDonalds charity container. Drove me nuts for a week thinking about it. It is the only buffalo that I have seen in the wild.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 am

Yesterday I was at an amusment park when I noticed a wheat in the coin fountian right near the edge, I had to grab it and replaced it with a zinc
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:03 am

Gresham's law seems to rule the day on the take a penny trays.
(Copernicus-Gresham Law if your polish.)
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing