Just Got Lucky

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Just Got Lucky

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Just ran down (about two miles) to the Subway for lunch. Am sure I closed the garage door with the remote. Got back in less than fifteen minutes and the sucker was wide open!! :o Nothing appears to be missing (which is amazing given I live in a not so trustworthy apartment complex with aluminum can dumpster divers constantly roaming the alleys) which is a good thing... since I have about 80 backup boxes of bank pennies (in plain sight) waiting for sacrifice to the Ryedale. Lessons learned... double check that I friggin did indeed hit the remote, that the door indeed came down. When you habitually do something, things can go amiss. My other conclusion is that I need to change the factory settings on the garage door opener. Anyone with the same type controller can drive the alleys pressing repeatedly, and undoubtedly there are others besides myself who need to change their codes. I was just damned lucky I went on only a short errand. It's just stuff out there... but it would still urine me off, and make me feel a sense of violation, to have someone rip me off under such a set of circumstances. Whew... got lucky this time. :)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Just Got Lucky

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:04 pm

Done that before. Sucks. I do try to make sure I stop and wait for the door to come down, stop, and wait a second before taking off. Even within the past week I've had to force myself to stop, back-up to where I could I see the door, or even turn around. Been awhile since I came home and found it open, but I'm 99% sure it was me not waiting combined with the door hitting an obstacle or stiff point and going into reverse.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:08 pm

68Camaro wrote:Done that before. Sucks. I do try to make sure I stop and wait for the door to come down, stop, and wait a second before taking off. Even within the past week I've had to force myself to stop, back-up to where I could I see the door, or even turn around. Been awhile since I came home and found it open, but I'm 99% sure it was me not waiting combined with the door hitting an obstacle or stiff point and going into reverse.

Good idea. My door is pretty wobbly, it could have hit some obstruction and started back upwards after my attention was on driving.
beauanderos

Postby abe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:41 pm

Its pretty well known that thieves will cruise neighborhoods and try to find a garage door on the same signal as theirs. If it opens they have a target.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GTOJohn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:58 pm

glad to hear you didnt get ripped-off.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Don't get caught slippin'. When I do something like that, I feel I have no one to blame but myself really. Glad nothing got got.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ffej » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:21 pm

quess i'm lucky, i live in the woods, one way in and one way out. I'm sorrounded by woods. I am known as a non tresspasser friendly type guy. I never lock my doors, all the keys are in my vehicles....If you can get pass the roaming sentry gesse or the peacocks who both scream when a mouse pees on cotton and make it on the front poarch, there is a 80 lb blue nose pit that has a very nasty attitude...Even the electric company makes a appointment to check the meter.
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:33 pm

Oh! I misunderstood. When you said you got lucky... well, uhm, I thought you were going to tell us how you got... you know... lucky! :P
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Oh! I misunderstood. When you said you got lucky... well, uhm, I thought you were going to tell us how you got... you know... lucky! :P

Dude, in my dreams! I'm 60, bald, fat, and ugly :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Corsair » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 am

beauanderos wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Oh! I misunderstood. When you said you got lucky... well, uhm, I thought you were going to tell us how you got... you know... lucky! :P

But filthy rich and with a personality that no one can beat. I was with the good Sheikh on that one.

You got lucky, Mr. Ray. I've trained myself to look at the bench outside the door and instantly relate that to the door being locked, so I double check it. That seems to work.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:06 am

Another idea I do is to pull the plug on the garage door when I will not be using it. That way noone can randomly access the code. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:36 am

Corsair wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

But filthy rich and with a personality that no one can beat. I was with the good Sheikh on that one.

You got lucky, Mr. Ray. I've trained myself to look at the bench outside the door and instantly relate that to the door being locked, so I double check it. That seems to work.

Dude, you got what most single mature women want in a man... a locked in pension plan! I have heard them chant this mantra amongst themselves when they think no one is listening: "No romance without finance! No romance without finance! No romance without finance!" :P
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:53 pm

i'd be reassured by this ray

it means no one is casing your place ! :)

you must be staying under the radar with your sorting
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:02 pm

beauanderos wrote:Just ran down (about two miles) to the Subway for lunch. Got back in less than fifteen minutes

How can a man be fat when we is able to run to subway (2miles), order a sub, pay, and run back (2miles) in less than 15min. :shock:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Just ran down (about two miles) to the Subway for lunch. Got back in less than fifteen minutes

How can a man be fat when we is able to run to subway (2miles), order a sub, pay, and run back (2miles) in less than 15min. :shock:

Hahaha... go pull a tooth, ya wanker :lol: The sad thing is, I used to be a half decent runner back in the day, now I just feel run down. :roll:
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:15 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:

Hahaha... go pull a tooth, ya wanker :lol: The sad thing is, I used to be a half decent runner back in the day, now I just feel run down. :roll:

Dude that is all I have been doing all day.....least feels like it.

What a second....who's grandmother are you neglecting....Shouldn't you be pushing much needed meds or something. :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby JobIII » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm

where's the trust....
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:16 pm

It's amazing on how those door sensors are so sensitive to the littlest things. I've seen the fluffy cotton wood fuzzies interfere with my door going down....I kept thinking somebody was messing me.

At least this should make you think about either moving the penny stash or at least getting them out of plain sight!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm glad I live where I do. My garage door hasn't been closed for years. And half the time, I forget and leave my keys in the ignition.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I'm glad I live where I do. My garage door hasn't been closed for years. And half the time, I forget and leave my keys in the ignition.

Where do you live? I need a different car :lol:
beauanderos

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing