How do you store your coins?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How do you store your coins?

Postby schockergd » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:47 am

As time goes on, I'm trying to build up my coin stockpile, my goal right now is $500 FV of copper pennies & nickels. I'm almost there with nickels but need to start sorting more pennies. However the thought comes up - how do I store these once they're sorted.

I've thought about 5gal buckets, as it might only take one or two to store $1000 FV total , however the weight concerns are my worry. I'm curious about solutions to this issue. Unfortunately I don't have a garage or concrete pad to store a stash in either, so i'm also worried about too much weight on the floor.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Re: How do you store your coins?

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:46 pm

i prefer to reseal pennies into $25 bricks. you have to shake the bricks a few times to allow them to settle, and then use a lot of tape. but this way its counted before i put them away and they stack a little better. a bucket you will have a hard time moving.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re-rolling into 50 rolls and putting in a $25 penny box will make them more marketable later. Some people may not care and will buy them in any form (wrapped or loose), but some people will want them wrapped in boxes that easily verifiable for quantity. Your selling market will be larger if you re-wrap them in $25 boxes. That's my opinion anyway.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Re-wrap them and store them in the boxes that they came in. $25 at a time. Easy to move and stack and like inflationhawk said above they are more marketable that way.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby willy13 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:22 pm

I store my copper cents in the smaller 30 cal ammo cans. They will hold $50 face which is about 34 lbs of cents. Durable and easy to transport.
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PennyBoy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:29 pm

The upside of not-so-easy-to-move-storage is to deter the novice thief.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chief » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:16 pm

I store coppers in 5 gallon buckets. $250 or so fits in each with a little shaking. You can stack them and to me, they are the best way to go.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Wheats go into empty cottage cheese containers. Other coppers go into empty protein tubs.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:Wheats go into empty cottage cheese containers. Other coppers go into empty protein tubs.

Thats what Ive been using!

Too bad whey prices are now sky high...Ive filled em all and have started using boxes since I cant afford any more protein powder :(
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby goldteam » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:36 pm

I store them in ice cream buckets and of course seal them with the lid

It doesn't seem like it takes forever to fill one like larger containers. It is an illusion, but it makes me feel like I am making larger progress.

They are heavy but can be moved also.
goldteam

Postby John_doe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:16 am

schockergd wrote:As time goes on, I'm trying to build up my coin stockpile, my goal right now is $500 FV of copper pennies & nickels. I'm almost there with nickels but need to start sorting more pennies. However the thought comes up - how do I store these once they're sorted.

I've thought about 5gal buckets, as it might only take one or two to store $1000 FV total , however the weight concerns are my worry. I'm curious about solutions to this issue. Unfortunately I don't have a garage or concrete pad to store a stash in either, so i'm also worried about too much weight on the floor.

Unless you are getting the buckets for free, trash cans are the most economical route.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby gilpo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:46 am

An idea that I had:
I live in the midwest where tornadoes are common. After that big one struck Joplin, I started to get concerned about the safety of my family. So I looked into building a tornado safe-room in my garage. FEMA's guidelines have you build the walls with 2 overlapping layers of 3/4" plywood, covered in 14ga steel. Inside is just your standard 2x4 studs (which are 3.5" deep). Most penny boxes are 3.5" on at least one dimension also. Why not line the stud spaces of the safe-room with copper penny boxes? There's no way a tornado could pierce that. And the added support they give to the top plate at the ceiling would help guard against falling objects as well. Just another crazy idea to convince my family I should be committed....
gilpo

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 am

Oakair wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:Wheats go into empty cottage cheese containers. Other coppers go into empty protein tubs.

Thats what Ive been using!

Too bad whey prices are now sky high...Ive filled em all and have started using boxes since I cant afford any more protein powder :(

I feel your pain. Once the big boys (namely Gatorade) decided to start using whey in products, it’s definitely made the price of whey go up substantially (now, I usually buy my protein in 10 lb boxes, instead of in smaller tubs).

Thank goodness wheat isolate protein is still cheap, so I can still have my protein pancakes for breakfast.

Seems that no corner has been left untouched by inflation.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Throw them out back into the yard. The dog will take care of them....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:31 pm

One caution about the 5 gal buckets...I went to the vault this morning and found a row toppled over. This was the row I had just started stacking 100lb buckets. Seems the lid gave in on the bottom pail (they were only stacked 4 high). The way they stack, the bottom of the next pail sits on the soft part of the lid on the pail beneath, not on the outermost reinforced rim.

So I'll have to pick up some 2x12 planks to lay between the layers if I want to keep stacking 100 pounders. Probably overkill, but I can use the boards later for other purposes.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm guessing someone needs to make a sticky or somthing about this as it seems to come up often. Sometimes I feel as time passes by the same topics just get beat to death. Could be something to the extent of Ways to store your copper Hoard??
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chief » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Morsecode wrote:One caution about the 5 gal buckets...I went to the vault this morning and found a row toppled over. This was the row I had just started stacking 100lb buckets. Seems the lid gave in on the bottom pail (they were only stacked 4 high). The way they stack, the bottom of the next pail sits on the soft part of the lid on the pail beneath, not on the outermost reinforced rim.

So I'll have to pick up some 2x12 planks to lay between the layers if I want to keep stacking 100 pounders. Probably overkill, but I can use the boards later for other purposes.

With my 5 gal bucket, I only stack them 2 high, but fill them to the top. This way the top bucket sits on top of the bottom lid that is reinforced with the coppers below it. Basically, the bottom bucket's lid is hard and not going to fail.
I'd really like to go 3 high, but lifting 175lbs is not a walk in the park. My original goal was one ton of coppers, but as I approach this goal, stacking my buckets 3 high would save a bit of room (6wide x 2high vs 4wide x 3 high).
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pachucko » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 pm

willy13 wrote:I store my copper cents in the smaller 30 cal ammo cans. They will hold $50 face which is about 34 lbs of cents. Durable and easy to transport.

What are you paying for cans +/- in your area?
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pachucko » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Chief wrote:I store coppers in 5 gallon buckets. $250 or so fits in each with a little shaking. You can stack them and to me, they are the best way to go.

Ever weighed one?
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Chief » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Pachucko wrote:
Chief wrote:I store coppers in 5 gallon buckets. $250 or so fits in each with a little shaking. You can stack them and to me, they are the best way to go.

Ever weighed one?

No, but I should. Supposed to be be 175lbs +/-.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CuJoe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:51 pm

I am new to all of this. But so far, I have been rolling my coppers up and storing them in the $25 Brinks boxes from the bank.
CuJoe

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:19 pm

CuJoe wrote:I am new to all of this. But so far, I have been rolling my coppers up and storing them in the $25 Brinks boxes from the bank.

That would've been my 2nd choice, and part of me still can't bear to toss out the bazillion boxes I've accumulated. This morning I filled the Explorer with the empties (by filled, I mean every cubic foot of interior space except the driver's seat) and I'm going to my part time job tomorrow to flatten and band them up for better mothball storage while I decide their ultimate fate.

Awesome forum handle, by the way...Cujoe :D
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby schockergd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:43 pm

I realized I had a ton of brinks boxes left over and just started using them. Having said that I've got a abundance of penny boxes and too few nickel boxes. So I've managed to fill 2 penny brinks boxes with nickels from my roll searching. :)
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:47 am

Anyone tried 50 cal ammo cans? The 30 cal cans work perfect for $200 in nickels.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing