1909 first aid help?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

1909 first aid help?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Wrapping up some off-Friday sorting, happened to look in the top of the zinc bucket, saw a corroded wheat, so stopped and pulled it out. I'm used to seeing steelies in the zinc bin, especially corroded ones. This next part may be scandolous, but I couldn't read the date, and so took a fine knife and lightly scraped the crud from off the date. Could hardly believe what was revealed. 1909....

Now, I know the odds of this being a vdb are low, but... any suggestions for how to clean up this puppy enough to be able to tell?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1909 first aid help?

Postby HD-Daddy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm

You asking that question I figuered you'd know.LOL Vinegar and water. I thought i've seen someone suggest that.
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:00 pm

HD-Daddy wrote:You asking that question I figuered you'd know.LOL Vinegar and water. I thought i've seen someone suggest that.

I know that will clean it. :lol: Guess I should have been more specific - as I'm not a numismatic guy, wondered (if this is worth anything) if that would affect the value, or if (given that it's already kind of a mess) it couldn't get any worse, and I might as well do a chemical clean and see what's underneath? Any thoughts?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby HD-Daddy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Im just joshing you. I would be interested in knowing a correct method also. I wonder what to use to clean silver (correctly), come to think of it. I just been stacking, NOW i want it to shine (correctly). :lol:
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Not too knowledgeable here, but id say if its already been through hell and back, you may as well clean it (assuming you cant see anything with a good magnifier)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:11 pm

BadThad on the Coin Community forum might be able to help you, your coin might be too far gone, though...
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Yeah - it is/was pretty much toast. Only good to fill a book slot until something better comes along.
68Camaro

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:42 am

Soap and water wont hurt the coin so start there. Next go to boiling water because that won't hurt the coin either. (as long as you don't leave it in there forever) Than there are all sorts of methods. Ketchup on the penny for a day....Vineger and salt...ect ect ect
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:12 am

I found a 1909 last night that popped out of the zinc side of my Ryedale. Glad I scan through them before dumping! It's in pretty good shape. I held my breath and flipped it over..... but no VDB. Then I had to flip it again and squint real hard looking for an S, but there was not one. Still a good find though!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing