Coinstar kept saying "My you have a lot of coins! Please wai

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coinstar kept saying "My you have a lot of coins! Please wai

Postby rulesforrebels » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Went to the Coinstar machine last night. Machine kept saying "My you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up." I must have been standing at that machine for a good 30 minutes. All in all I think it was only about $140 in pennies. The fees are a ripoff but they offer gift cards to the grocery store for no fee for turning in so I get the cards. Figure I'm going to spend a few hundred bucks a month on groceries anyway lighten the load on the bank.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Re: Coinstar kept saying "My you have a lot of coins! Please

Postby gettin copper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:23 am

Thats nice it has a grocery store option. They are slow as heck though. I use one once and awhile, but the only gift certificate option that helps me is an amazon or lowe's card. good luck
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:36 am

Yep, CS is a slow machine, and dumping anything over 50 face is painful. But I do it every once in awhile just to reload my Starbucks card and do one less trip to TD bank. You're lucky they have the grocery option on your CS. If you have a TD bank near you, their counters are free with a 100 buck account, and their machine counts almost as fast as you can dump; only limit is that you will fill the bags and have to wait for someone to reload them.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Double3 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 am

If the machine is at a grocery store do they usually have a gift card option for that store?

Been thinking about checking it out but haven't been to the grocery store for a while.

Wife takes care of that stuff :lol:
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 am

So what happens when the coin star fills up and you are not finished.? Who empties it?
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 am

Double3 wrote:If the machine is at a grocery store do they usually have a gift card option for that store?

Been thinking about checking it out but haven't been to the grocery store for a while.

Not at any of the stores here.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby aaa30040 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 am

I wish they had the grocery store option, but they don't in Atlanta. They have machines in Kroger and Food Lion, but no grocery gift card option.
buying wheat pennies at $0.03 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
buying copper pennies at $0.014 delivered - send me a note if you are selling
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 am

In my area, Chicago, most of the Coinstars we have are in Jewel Grocery stores. I'm pretty sure all the Jewels in my area have the gift card option.

I think it's pretty handy. Even though the machine is slow there's no fee, lightens the load on the bank and I figure I'm going to spend a few hundred on groceries a month and another hundred on smokes so figure that's an easy $300 or $400 a month I can avoid bringing to the bank.

I just found out a Chase near me has a lobby machine, problem is my buddy works at the bnak and he's my pickup bank so even though I could pickup and dump there b/c of that I don't want to be a drain on the bank so figure I'll find another place to dump. Im sure a few other chase branches have lobby counters around here.
rulesforrebels

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 am

Double3 wrote:If the machine is at a grocery store do they usually have a gift card option for that store?

It varies from store-to-store. At the WalMart grocery store, the CoinStar only has the option for an iTunes gift card. At the Smith's grocery store, it has a bunch of options, but not for the actual store (also doesn't have one of my favorites: Amazon). At the Albertson's grocery store by my house, it just added the option for an Albertson's gift card about a month ago (been using that one on-and-off for about 2 years).

In the end, you just have to check (you don’t have to dump coins to see what gift cards are available). Whenever I spot a CoinStar close to home, I will go through the gift card options to see what it has available.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Later » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:52 pm

aev wrote:So what happens when the coin star fills up and you are not finished.? Who empties it?

it will say sorry & dump anything in the machine to the reject drop and ur left to scoop everything out of top bin etc. then u wait till the coinstar guy comes out again.
Cu Later
Penny Pincher Member

Postby misteroman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Wow a grocery store gc? That would be awesome!!!!!
misteroman

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 am

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:I dumped $160 at CS in a Jewel yesterday, it took about an hour. Some woman said i was "one of those penny hoarders she's read about" another woman said (under her breath)" CS is rip off @ 9%" :roll:

Penny hoarders? I ain't heard about no penny hoarders. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:16 am

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am

Yeah my coinstar is pretty good in terms of gift cared options. I think we have Jewel Grocery Stores, CVS, Amazon.Com, Itunes, Gap, Toys R Us and probably 5-6 others as well.

I love Amazon but at the same time taking an amazon gift card would probably make me buy something I otherwise wouldn't so not really saving money there by doing coinstar instead of bank. Groceries however i'd be buying anyway as well as smokes so figure that's free money or a free dump basically.
rulesforrebels

Postby dp2007 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:44 pm

I use CS on occasion. The zinc from 3 boxes is usually what I dump (5500 -5800 zincs). It does take awhile. I've done it enough to not feed the machine too fast & get the dreaded "my you have alot of coins, please wait while we catch up" message.
It seems to go a little faster that way.
I love the Lowes, Amazon and JCpenney e-cert for no fee.
dp2007
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:58 am

I was just checking the http://www.coinstar.com website this evening to find out more about the gift card option. You can search for CS locations on their web site and see which gift cards are available at each location. I found out that Albertson's in my town includes their own gift card as on option for the machine in their grocery store. None of the other CS machines or grocery stores around were that generous. Oh, and forget about the CS machine at the local WalMart. They only have the gift card for iTunes and some online game site.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Double3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Used the coinstar for the first time today.

$53.25. Took 10-15 min.

I got an amazon gift card cause I need to buy something from there anyway. I see on the site that Kroger gift cards may be coming soon!
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Double3 wrote:Used the coinstar for the first time today.

$53.25. Took 10-15 min.

I got an amazon gift card cause I need to buy something from there anyway. I see on the site that Kroger gift cards may be coming soon!

It's not bad for a dump that is 50-60 bucks or less. Try $100 and you'll be less patient, especially vs a high-speed machine that can eat $100 in 5 minutes.

But I still use CS for small dumps, especially to load my starbucks card, since they have a reload feature for that on the CS near me.
68Camaro

Postby HoldingAg » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 pm

I used a coinstar tonight, at my local Acme grocery store. I brought a big thing of zincolns, and also threw in my little jar of regular change, it seemed like the little *ding* wow you have a lot of coins, please wait while we catch up thing happened about 30x. I think the whole dump took about 30mins, walked out with $147.50. I laughed when I looked up at the screen that tells you how many of each coin it has counted and it said 200some quarters and 8000some pennies. It is a downright slow machine. I did find a 5 euro cent coins, a parking token, and a chuckie cheese token though, bonus!
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Postby mflugher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:30 pm

If you use the coinstar and load it onto greendot card do they still charge the 9.8%? cuz I have a greendot prepaid card that I kinda hate, but not as much as carting $100 in pennies around.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:20 pm

I wonder what would happen if you sprayed them down with WD-40.

The lowes gift option is something I use for business anyway.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:06 pm

RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:42 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:Has anyone here seen on the CS web site the guy from AL who holds the record for most pennies processed, over $13,000? I wonder if he is a RC member.

Nope, he can't be a member. No member here is stupid enough to run $13k through a Coinstar. That would take about 52 hours to run. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing