First Dump on New Bank Route

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

First Dump on New Bank Route

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 pm

So I'm wending my way along a new route of four branches of Union Bank, which all have coin counters. I don't like to dump more than $100 in one place... even though they attempt (half-heartedly) to convince you that that would be fine. First stop... no problemos, took twelve minutes (they have to change bags out when filled with $25). Second stop... more of same. Third stop... chatty male teller who decided I was his friend. Put one bag of $50 thru and machine goes nutso (no, there weren't three red 7's lined up) spewing quarters like the payoff on a one-armed bandit. They're rolling all over the floor. What does he do? He starts scooping them up and throwing them on top of my pennies. I dunno... maybe he thought I was destitute, dependent on my last two bags of pennies to secure shelter and a meal for the night. At any rate, I wasn't about to argue with him. Finally the stream slows to a trickle and he opens up the counter, and starts running his finger down a track that was jamming. Out come more quarters, as well as a couple of keys. He says "you got lucky, there's probably ten dollars or so in there." I told him "thanks, I owe you lunch." No problem, says he. I look at the tag, which should have read $100, plus or minus a cent or two. Cha ching... over $155! :mrgreen: Is this karma or what? Yesterday I gave a bum fifteen dollars, and I get payback the next day? Way cool :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: First Dump on New Bank Route

Postby Morsecode » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm

See? And you thought sorting halves was profitable :D

Huge score, nice.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby hobo finds » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:37 pm

What a lunch date that would be! If you get in good with him who knows :lol:
hobo finds

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Nice score man, I feel bad for the poor sap who lost his change!
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Wow - bonus...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Some silver sorter cashing in quarters was probably really confused about his totals haha...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the teller was thinking, "oh the poor old man with his last few cents."

In three weeks when you are on your weekly "hand truck" deposit run he'll change his mind and start treating you a little different I think :)
barrytrot

Postby bman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Mercuryman wrote: I feel bad for the poor sap who lost his change!

and his keys!!! :lol:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:44 pm

beauanderos wrote:So I'm wending my way along a new route of four branches of Union Bank, which all have coin counters.

You found Union Bank branches with coin counters? I bank with them and have not seen any coin counters in their O.C. branches I've been to.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:07 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:
beauanderos wrote:So I'm wending my way along a new route of four branches of Union Bank, which all have coin counters.

You found Union Bank branches with coin counters? I bank with them and have not seen any coin counters in their O.C. branches I've been to.

That's too bad, I don't know why Orange County would be any different from Fresno, but... The only downside of their coin-counters is that the bags fill up at $25. You feel kinda guilty making the employee get down on their knees repeatedly to keep changing the bag. I told them I am changing to them from Bank of America (which is true) and that I need to fund my account with my emergency stash of pennies. They don't seem to mind, even encouraged me to dump greater amounts (they probably think this is a limited-duration event, haha) For sure, you know I'll be heading back to the mother lode site. I'll have to scope it out and determine when that teller is working. :mrgreen:
beauanderos

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:36 am

If you do take him on a lunch date, maybe let him get to 2nd base with you so he keeps getting you extra money. :lol:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 am

CardsNCoins wrote:If you do take him on a lunch date, maybe let him get to 2nd base with you so he keeps getting you extra money. :lol:

Nick... Nick. Dude, I know that works for you, but I prefer to play it straight.
beauanderos

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:32 am

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:

Same here, I have yet to see a Union bank with coin counters. In fact, the only banks that I know of that have them, are credit unions.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 am

Fresno? Well I guess I won't be taking my zincs to beauanderos's dumping grounds. But I'll be sure to widen my search of Union Bank branches in the greater L.A. area looking for those elusive coin counters.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:20 am

I see a trip to Fresno in my future. I have an account at Union bank. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing