Dump run today.... big penny spilling incident.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Dump run today.... big penny spilling incident.

Postby NHsorter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Had to run to the store today so I filled up a small plastic pail with about $75 face zincs to feed the TD Penny Arcade on the way over there. About half way there I had to get on the brakes pretty hard and it sent the pail flying forward. Pennies everywhere! I had to reach over and scoop them all away from the passenger side door so that they would not cascade out when I went to open the door. Figured that it was a good time to top off the tank -- clean up the mess before I got to the bank.

I have always feared some sort of penny spill at the bank or in the parking lot. Pail handle failure, bag rip, and so on. To date this is my worst incident so I feel pretty lucky.

Found $2.00 CAN quarters on the magnet. That cheered me up. Whenever they open the machine to change the bags I can't help myself from peering in to the bag of halves to see if any shiny edges stand out. Today right on the top was a shiny copper coin. I leaned in for a better look and it was a .999 Copper Statue of Liberty souvenir token. The teller changing the bags did not seem impressed with me sticking my nose in the machine so I did not ask if I could swap it out. I would have never known what it was if my wife had not bought one when we were at the statue. Pretty sure it cost more than $0.50
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Dump run today.... big penny spilling incident.

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Pail Handle failure.. Check
Bag Rip.. Check
Bucket tip over.. Check
Bag tipover.. Check

Yep.. Had them all.
I find that it is a lot safer for me if I either put a rubber band on the bag or use my 2.5 gallon buckets that are very wide and place them properly in the trunk. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby ember » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Pale/bucket with tight fitting lid for good measure ;)
ember

Postby slickeast » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:18 pm

I tipped a bucket over with $150 in pennies and $500 in halves trying to get it out of the back of my van. Pennies and halves rolling all over the parking lot.

I once took an offramp too fast and heard the sound of $300 in pennies falling out of the bucket that was laying on its side.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 pm

lol we've all had penny mishaps at one time or another

luckily mine have never been in a public place

one time the wife hit the brakes too hard and scattered a few coffee cans full of zincs all over the trunk

im still finding cents that have finally rattled out of the cracks and into the open... :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:42 am

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:41 am

Guess you cant buy the bags off the counter. Sounds like your sorter doesnt discriminate very well if a CU token is in the halves bag. Bet there is some silver in there.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 am

AGCoinHunter wrote:Guess you cant buy the bags off the counter. Sounds like your sorter doesnt discriminate very well if a CU token is in the halves bag. Bet there is some silver in there.

TD Bank has a contract with someone that maintains the machines and picks up/processes the coin for them so they are not allowed to sell the bags off of the Penny Arcade :( I have tried numerous times. HOWEVER, some friendly tellers have let me swap out a half for one in the bag. But it has to be 1 for 1 half swaps only so their count does not get messed up. I have done it a couple of times when I have spotted silver halves in the bag. I always look for them. On this trip the teller did not look very friendly (I got the evil eye for getting too close to the open machine) and I had neglected to stock my pocket with a few "swappin halves" so I did not even bother to ask to swap for the copper round. If it was silver, I would have begged for it and ran out to my truck to grab a half to swap out.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rulesforrebels » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 pm

i made the mistake of bringing a box of about $100 worth of pennies into jewel to use the coinstyar a while back. the box just came apart in my hands as i was entering the store, buy was that a mess. every since i use home depot 5 gallon pales. the orange ones you can buy them for like two bucks and they have a tight fitting top. i like them b/c you can keep it in your car nad not worry as oftentimes i keep a large amount in my car to dump as im running around through othr towns
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing