New member here

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

New member here

Postby Rob72830 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:18 am

I want to say howdy to everyone here and thanks for letting me join the group. A few details about me. My name is Robert and I have been collecting coins off and on since I was a teenager (I am now 50) and hoarding copper cents for about 3 months now. I am disabled so I can't afford to add too much to my regular coin collection but sorting pennies allows me to find wheaties and a few other coins to add to it at face value and return the zincs to the bank. So usually out of a $25 box I return around $22 plus whatever clad I have accumulated. I also get rolls of nickles but usually out of $20 I only find about 5 or 6 keepers, although I did find a 1936 Buffalo about 2 weeks ago with a nice sharp date. I am glad to be here and not lurking anymore. I have learned a lot here and hope I can contribute as well. Hope everyone has a great day.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Re: New member here

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:21 am

Welcome to the insanity... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby realfoot » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:55 am

welcome aboard,there are alot of good folks here and the information is about as good as you will find on the net.
the great thing about the net is you are not limited on any level.enjoy!
in God i trust. all others pay with precious metals.
realfoot

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 am

Rob72830 wrote:I want to say howdy to everyone here and thanks for letting me join the group. A few details about me. My name is Robert and I have been collecting coins off and on since I was a teenager (I am now 50) and hoarding copper cents for about 3 months now. I am disabled so I can't afford to add too much to my regular coin collection but sorting pennies allows me to find wheaties and a few other coins to add to it at face value and return the zincs to the bank. So usually out of a $25 box I return around $22 plus whatever clad I have accumulated. I also get rolls of nickles but usually out of $20 I only find about 5 or 6 keepers, although I did find a 1936 Buffalo about 2 weeks ago with a nice sharp date. I am glad to be here and not lurking anymore. I have learned a lot here and hope I can contribute as well. Hope everyone has a great day.

It's a fun hobby that could pay off in the long run if hyperinflation hits like we expect. Thanks for coming out of the closet, lurker :lol: Glad to have you aboard. :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby sparechange » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:03 am

Welcome to the board. Plenty of knowledge and humor among members if you haven't already noticed. Keep horading at any level!
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 am

Welcome from an old grump. :D This forum often gives me Smiles as it is a fun group that try helping each other when asked :D

As you find time read the older threads on here an that will let you see who besides Slickeast and Beau are Jokers :lol:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Welcome and how are the Ozarks looking now? As a kid I went there a few times in the fall to see the leaves change.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Welcome.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Rob72830 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:20 pm

To answer your question-the Ozarks are still hot. I'll be glad when winter gets here. Maybe the temp will at least get below 70. Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I hope I can contribute like everyone else and thanks for the advice. I will go and read those old posts.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hirbonzig » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Welcome to realcent! When you look thru nickels-what do you consider "keepers"? I keep any nickels before 1960. Keep on hoarding and have fun!
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rob72830 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 pm

hirbonzig wrote:Welcome to realcent! When you look thru nickels-what do you consider "keepers"? I keep any nickels before 1960. Keep on hoarding and have fun!

Me too. The only exception are the 2009-P. Since the nickles minted that year were the lowest in 50 or more years, I hang onto them. They may not be worth more than a nickle now, but when my grandson is grown, they maybe valuable then. He is about to be 7. If not, they will at least be worth 5 cents. Thanks i am having fun.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Welcome, Rob. Glad to have you aboard.

Nice thing about sorting and saving is that you can control what you decide to collect. Obviously, there are different opinions about what dates to save in each category, but you'll develop your preferences very soon (if not already).

As a long time purist (hand sorter) probably the most important thing to remember is not to lick your fingers. LOL. You'll be surprised how dirty your hands get just handling the coin of the realm here. Pretty scary when you think about it.

Anyway, look forward to your postings and report of findings. There are still some good ones lurking out there. I'm pleasantly surprised each time I crack open a new box of cents or nickels.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rob72830 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:28 pm

I hear that about licking fingers. Years ago I worked P/T as a convenience store clerk and learned how dirty money is. That is why I watch food handlers that also handle money. If they don't wear those plastic gloves I don't eat there. Can't be too careful about germs and gunk. When ever I handsort I wash my hands a lot. Even handling new coins you can still get that metalic smell on your hands. I am like you that I get excited whenever I open a box of rolls. Never knowing what is in there. I am new to this, probably have only checked 4 boxes but I found a clad dime in one roll, lots of wheaties, a few canadian. Two of the wheats were from the teens, 1916 and the other one's date was worn but looked like 1914 since there was no initials on Lincoln's shoulder. Oh, it was a P, not a D. Thanks for the welcome.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby MikeyPooh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Hiya Rob I'm a new here too so from one new guy to another hello and welcome! I too have learned a lot of great stuff from this forum as well and am happy to have de-lurked.
MikeyPooh

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Well Mr. Robert welcome to the group and glad you joined!! Almost throught you might be from Texas with that howdy :)
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rob72830 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:05 am

ScottyTX wrote:Well Mr. Robert welcome to the group and glad you joined!! Almost throught you might be from Texas with that howdy :)

Thanks fellas. Just living in the Ozarks and loving it.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Hey Rob......Great name.....welcome!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby slickeast » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Rob72830 wrote:
ScottyTX wrote:Well Mr. Robert welcome to the group and glad you joined!! Almost throught you might be from Texas with that howdy :)

Thanks fellas. Just living in the Ozarks and loving it.

Maybe the zip code in his name might have tipped you off that he is in Arkansas.

Welcome, and don't listen to Rosco....he is OLD.:mrgreen:
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Rob72830 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks again. I've been reading the old posts and have learned a lot of things so far. I was surprised to find out a lot of you guys are into scrap metal too. When I joined I thought this forum was about hoarding pennies and precious metals. You guys inspired me to go out to the garage and look for stuff to scrap. I don't know if I have anything worth anything out there but I did spend an hour taking apart an old computer printer to see if there was anything valuable inside. I still don't but now I know what it looks like in there. Does anyone know how to tell if connectors are gold plated? I am new at this so any info would be helpful. Thank you and glad to be here.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 pm

Rob72830 wrote:Thanks again. I've been reading the old posts and have learned a lot of things so far. I was surprised to find out a lot of you guys are into scrap metal too. When I joined I thought this forum was about hoarding pennies and precious metals. You guys inspired me to go out to the garage and look for stuff to scrap. I don't know if I have anything worth anything out there but I did spend an hour taking apart an old computer printer to see if there was anything valuable inside. I still don't but now I know what it looks like in there. Does anyone know how to tell if connectors are gold plated? I am new at this so any info would be helpful. Thank you and glad to be here.

Rob, you can sell almost anything that's metal at the scrap recycler. I just took in an old catalytic converter, some copper pipes captured during a remodel and about 22 pounds of aluminum cans along with a bunch of iron/steel stuff. Someone else will have to advise you on the computers. Good luck.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing