Petina vs BU

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Petina vs BU

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 pm

So for your personal stash (59-81) what do you prefer? A good petina or a nice BU type penny?
I've been sorting so many BU style pennies I just had to make a bag for myself. I'm really amazed at how many 59's, 61's, 64's and 77's look untouched.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Petina vs BU

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:51 pm

You're right about the frequent BU (or close to it) '59-'79 coppers in circulation. Pretty plentiful. Glad to see each and every one in a roll, but give me one with a spectular rainbow patina and that's one immediately channeled into my personal collection.

Trying to get a full set of rainbows for the full Cu Memorial run of 59-82 and making some good progress. Not sure what I'll do with them once that's complete, but I enjoy a challenge of any type.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:36 pm

I go for the BU. Bought myself all 3 Whitman books and #2 and #3 are almost all full. I decided it will be 100% wild finds so there will probably be a few holes that'll never get filled, but it's fun to look. Found a 25D to fill a spot today.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:You're right about the frequent BU (or close to it) '59-'79 coppers in circulation. Pretty plentiful. Glad to see each and every one in a roll, but give me one with a spectular rainbow patina and that's one immediately channeled into my personal collection.

Trying to get a full set of rainbows for the full Cu Memorial run of 59-82 and making some good progress. Not sure what I'll do with them once that's complete, but I enjoy a challenge of any type.

I totally agree. I have albums that I'm trying to fill with BUs as I find them, which is enjoyable, but it would really be great to have a full set of rainbows. That would be very cool.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:23 am

I have a fairly decent 1910 rainbow cent that I pulled out of the zinc output pile of the ryedale last night. Is there a premium for these? I don't recall ever seeing one that old with that coloring. It has a nice blue/green rainbow effect on both sides. I tried to get a good scan, but I just can;t get the real coloring to show up.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby realfoot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:46 am

i prefer bu.i got a 1956 d in au condition back for change the other day.nice little surprise.
in God i trust. all others pay with precious metals.
realfoot

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 pm

NH sorter, that is cleaned. CU value only for cleaned coins.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:26 pm

What tipped you off that it is cleaned? Just curious because I don't know how to tell. The scan did not come out looking much at all like the coin does in hand. I'll try to see if I can get a picture that shows it off better. It has nice rainbow coloring.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rob72830 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:41 am

Nice coin. I hope to find a few like that. I would like to point out that you cannot find Brillant Uncirculated coins in those rolls of circulated cents. As soon as someone puts their fingers to a coin, it is circulated. Everytime a finger touches a coin, oils from the finger stays on the coin. The coin may still look uncirculated but technically it is AU or About Uncirculated. They can still look new with luster but unless it comes from a mint bag or a roll of brand new coins, you have to call it AU. Also, cleaned coins cannot be called BU or AU for that matter. Generally cleaned coins are worth less than their dirty counterparts. Sorry to bring all this up, I was a coin collector before I was a hoarder. The signs of cleaning are a coin that is obviously worn from circulation but is shiny, tiny scratches on the coin from being rubbed clean with a rag, and if it is shiny, a cleaned coin will not have the cartwheel effect that BU or AU coin will have in the light. Hope this helps.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:54 pm

"I would like to point out that you cannot find Brillant Uncirculated coins in those rolls of circulated cents"
um, yes you can, it is only AU when part of the coin is actually worn. searching rolls of circulated coins, you can find coins that PCGS or NGC or any other good grading service will call uncirculated.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 pm

What ever happened to the Copper penny Bullion Page?

;)
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing