Dilemma with Cu

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Dilemma with Cu

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:26 pm

I have access to scrap electrical wire. What would be better... Sorting cents or stripping wire? Ive also been taking just the bare grounding wires so there is no stripping involved for some.
Stripping wire is not as enjoyable as sorting pennies but it looks better (shiny) and is free. Im pretty sure its .999 Cu as opposed to .980 for us Canadians.

Oh what a dilemma.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Dilemma with Cu

Postby Shattered » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 pm

As of now cents are mostly just for holding on to for the long term. Yeah, some sell but they don't make nearly as much as they are intrinsically worth. You can take wire right now to a scrap yard and get money for it without having to hold on to it.

That is one way to look at it.
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:47 pm

free is good. grab it while you can!!!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby bman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 pm

take the scrap and cash it in, use that cash to buy pennies to sort later when they are not readily available.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AlexTG » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:19 pm

bman wrote:take the scrap and cash it in, use that cash to buy pennies to sort later when they are not readily available.

My thoughts exactly.

Free > pay
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby giddyup99 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:26 pm

I'd do both. I got a whole bunch of wire I haven't gotten to yet. If its free you can't turn it down.
giddyup99

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Sort and strip, sort and strip. Repeat as necessary. I have always wondered if hoarding pure copper in any form would be a good/better Idea too. "Currently" copper wire is more of a tangiable asset is it not? Oh well I'll stick to my copper pennies, I don't see any mounds of copper wire laying around outside the yard or in the bank parking lot :) I did manage to pick up around 500 lbs #2 at one point but I'm not longer working in that location, what a shame they quickly turned into something else shiny.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:50 pm

ScottyTX wrote:Sort and strip, sort and strip.

I don't even want to know why you sort naked..... :oops:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 am

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 am

bman wrote:
ScottyTX wrote:Sort and strip, sort and strip.

I don't even want to know why you sort naked..... :oops:

Hahahahahaha!!!! :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheba » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Love to have your 'dilemma' :!: :!: :!:

If you have access to copper wire, get all you can! When you have enough weight to make it worth while, go to the scrap yard or wherever and sell. (I suspect that copper is probably going to continue on an uptrend over the next months/year or so...maybe longer).

Then use the money to buy and store pennies .... I know others have suggested this too. Just addin' my 1 copper cent worth :)

Sheba
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:59 am

The plan at the moment is to ask the local gold smith if I could get them to melt the wire into 10lb and 25lb barbell plates in exchange I will give them some copper. When I was talking to them they mentioned their need for copper. I have materials they want and they have the skills and tools that I would like. I will let the forum know if it is successfull. Im going to wait untill I have enough copper to make it worth while if it is possible.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing