Best Places To Buy Certified Cents?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Best Places To Buy Certified Cents?

Postby HoldingAg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello everyone,

I am interested in starting a high grade set of Lincoln Cents, hopefully MS65RD minimum. I don't have the slightest idea where to find certified cents on the web. I searched google a lot last night, but came up with mostly mediocre results. I remember looking at a nice 1909 s vdb on ebay and the guy had a link to his website (he operates out of Pennsylvania) and he deals only in high grade lincolns raw and certified. I can't find his site anywhere. I want to start assembling my set from the begining of the the series onwards, but I will wait a while before I buy a MS65RD 1909 s because I don't have 5grand right now. I was hoping to get some high grade wheats under 1000 to start.

If anyone knows a website that specializes in high grade Lincolns could you please post a link? I also want to know what you guys think about what grading service is best for assembling this set PCGS, ANACS, NGC? Any info/links would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Re: Best Places To Buy Certified Cents?

Postby ed_vantage17 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:21 pm

Word on the street is PCGS grades tougher than the other two so there are fewer of the high grades out there from them.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoldingAg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks for the info on grading. I was thinking of starting a PCGS set. Anyone know about ANACS for cent grading? I would think that ANACS would be on of the strictest for lincoln cents since the attribute all the varieties too, but what do I know? I think when I start this set I will stick with one grading company for everything, I think years from now when my kids go to sell the set it will bring more cash in the market for a set that is certified all by one company.

Also, I've been thinking that it might be a little more expensive to collect MS65Red for all the early wheats, but I really want a high grade set, I think it will be a challenge financially but I am 29 years old and have my whole life to complete the set, so I will maybe only buy a couple expensive coins a year.

I am always searching E-bay, but I really would appreciate it if anyone could help me out with a link to a website that sells strictly lincoln cents, or site that has a good selection of graded/slabbed wheats/memorials. I would like to purchase some coins pretty soon!

Thanks everyone!
Remember... Even A Slow Drip Can Fill A Bucket!
HoldingAg

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:28 am

The Penny Lady is a great dealer of high quality certified cents: http://www.thepennylady.com/

Take your time with the collection. You have a lifetime to make it great. I like your idea of using one grading service and keeping minimum standards for grades. But, sometimes you'll find coins that have better eye appeal than a simple grade. Some of the 64 RB's can be a treat to look at, too, and cost a fraction of the RD equivalent.

Since you are going to concentrate on one series, then it makes sense to familiarize yourself with the dealers of good coins. Repeat customers are appreciated and will get deals. They also know what you like and can find coins for you. They are also a great source of information and can help guide you to a great set with their knowledge. Go to some coin shows and ask the dealers at the show who they go to for wheat cents... they should all point to one or two guys/gals in the room.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:19 am

Yes, I personally know the penny lady and she is great to deal with.

I would defintly stick with PCGS. Anacs is probably fine but when it comes to resale value PCGS is where its at.

Also you can try ebay and a few other places but I would try to form a relationship with some coin dealers. Coin dealers can always be looking for you and almost can find you any coin. (depending on how connected they are)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing