Wow, do the math on this one.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Wow, do the math on this one.

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:48 am

By my calculations, you can piecemeal buy these coins for about $25:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTION-OLD- ... 483af54261
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Wow, do the math on this one.

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:40 am

You are going to pay $44.50 for about $20.00 worth of common date coins.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:57 am

The seller has sold 141 of these "Deals"

I just realized that the seller lives about 25 miles from me.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 pm

NDFarmer wrote:You are going to pay $44.50 for about $20.00 worth of common date coins.

I can only point out these auctions. I am holding back saying how much craftiness I think some sellers can go to. The net result is I think you can sell common-date coins rather easily if you have a good story to tell.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Yes that has always been the case on feebay the better story you can come up with the higher your stuff sells for. What I don't understand is after the buyer gets the items and they find out they have been taken they very seldom leave negative feedback. If more people would leave negative feedback you wouldn't see so much of this story telling going on.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby warthog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:36 pm

While I agree with your sentiment - I guess I don't know that the buyers all really feel like they've been taken. Sure any one of *us could assemble this set for around $20, I can promise you that if I sent my mom who knows nothing of this hobby with the instructions to assemble something similar, she would end up going to a LCD and paying that much (or more) buying coins at retail dealer prices. This guy isn't marketing to real collectors who know down to the penny exactly what things are valued at, he's selling circulated coins to casual buyers maybe trying to fill some holes in a Whitman folder. Also, considering what you see some people trying to pull... he may be fleecing a few sheep, but he's not exactly skinning them.

I don't mean to sound like I'm defending this guys business practices here.. I'm not... just saying to a certain kind of buyer this might seem like a good deal.
warthog

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing